Hye Thyme Cafe: Leftover Pork Chops Re-purposed Into Pork Fried Rice

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Leftover Pork Chops Re-purposed Into Pork Fried Rice

Pork-Fried Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe


I think I shed a little tear while making this. You see, I had used the last of my prized stash of fennel pollen in the coating for my pork chops, and here I was scraping it off to make fried rice!  So sad.  L

I got over it quickly though once I had a chance to eat this tasty dish.

I have one confession to make before we get started. I had intended to cook the egg pancake style so I could dice it into the finished dish, but I saw quickly that my missing pan (recent move, stuff vanished) situation meant I wasn't using the right pan for this and saw that wasn't gonna happen! I ended up scrambling, which worked out just fine, but if you want that restaurant "look," you might want to use a non-stick pan so you can do the pancake thing.


INGREDIENTS:
3T canola oil, divided
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
2 lg cloves of garlic, minced (or 2t
  jarred minced garlic with hot peppers)
2T freshly grated ginger
2 c cooked rice, cooled
1 lg carrot, diced
1 med onion, diced
black pepper
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (if using cloves of garlic)
3T low-sodium soy sauce, divided
2 pork chops, cooked and diced
Crown from one stem of broccoli, florets separated


Over medium heat, cook the eggs in 1T of the canola oil until just barely set. As I mentioned above, you can either scramble the eggs, or pour them in and let them cook slowly into a flat round, carefully lifting the edge as it starts to set to let the oil slide underneath.

When the egg is just about cooked through, remove it from the pan and return the same pan to the heat, adding the additional oil, along with the garlic and ginger.

When the garlic starts to get some color on it and the ginger becomes fragrant, add the rice, stirring frequently to prevent sticking/scorching. Once the rice has a chance to soak in some of that garlic and ginger flavor and starts to dry out, go ahead and add the carrot and onion and several grinds of black pepper. If you are using clove garlic rather than the garlic with red peppers, you might want to add a little crushed red pepper here for heat.  











Stir frequently to prevent sticking, and let cook until the onions and carrots start to soften, about 5".

Add 2T of the soy sauce, along with the diced pork and broccoli to the pan, stirring well to coat.

Pork-Fried Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe

Because I like my broccoli on the crisp side, rather than continuing to cook the dish at this point, I turned off the heat and popped a cover on the pan to let the broccoli steam.

Pork-Fried Rice : Hye Thyme CafeWhen the broccoli is cooked to your liking, take a taste and add more of the soy sauce if needed, then stir the reserved eggs into the mixture and serve immediately.




Pork-Fried Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Now, what do I do with leftover fried rice? LOL I actually just had some for dinner. Brought me back several years ... had to re-heat it on the stove [OMG - insert eye roll] since I either forgot my microwave in my last move or dumped it and forgot. Thought it was up in the attic at the house, so it came as a surprise to unpack and not find it. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...