Hye Thyme Cafe: Herb Bread

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, September 30, 2012

Herb Bread

Herb Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe

This turned out so good, I had a heck of a time leaving it alone long enough to cool. That's the problem with a lot of breads; you want to dive right in, but you need to let them rest to get that nice texture you're looking for. Cutting into a loaf of fresh bread before it has had a chance to cool may prevent it from fully cooking and can often cause it to turn out dense or gummy.  


INGREDIENTS:
1 packet rapid-rise yeast
1 T butter
1 t jarred minced garlic with red
   peppers or 1 clove garlic and
   a pinch of crushed red pepper
1/2 c fresh parsley, chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1/2 t each Salt and Pepper
1/4 c fresh dill, chopped 
1/2 c water
1/2 c light sour cream
1 T butter
1 T sugar
1 t salt
2 1/2 c flour

Sprinkle the yeast into the bowl of your stand mixer or food processor. If using a food processor, make sure you have the dough blade in place.

In 1T of the butter, sauté the garlic, scallions, and parsley, seasoning with the salt and pepper, until just wilted. Remove from heat and set aside. Once that mixture has cooled, you can stir the dill into it, but you do not want to cook the dill.

Combine the water, sour cream, remaining 1T of butter, sugar, and salt, heating until the butter has melted and the sour cream has been incorporated. If the mixture is too hot for you to comfortably stick your finger in it, set it aside for a minute.


While the sour cream mixture is still warm, pour it over the yeast and walk away for 5" to give the yeast a chance to activate and foam up. If your liquid is too hot, it can kill the yeast, and you won't get a nice rise.

Add a half cup of flour to the yeast mixture and give it a quick spin to incorporate, then start alternating between adding flour and adding your herbs in 3 or 4 stages.




Allow the mixer/processor to run for 5-8", kneading the dough until it comes together in a ball. (In my case, using the food processor on bread for the first time - run it until the jumping scares you into thinking the machine is going to take flight.)

Lightly spray or oil a large bowl, turning the dough in the oil to coat. Cover and set inside your oven, away from any drafts, and let rise for about 45".

Take the bowl out of the oven and preheat to 375.

Punch down the dough, kneading it several times, and set in a lightly-sprayed pie plate or cake round to rest while the oven heats up.












Bake for 35-40" until golden and allow to cool completely before cutting.

Herb Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe


Herb Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe



Herb Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe

First stop - toast. I couldn't resist. After smelling it for so long, I had to have toast last night to try it.  

It was delicious and had a very delicate texture.




Herb Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe
Today's lunch was grilled cheese. A few slices of muenster with a spinkle of a  shredded mozzarella/cheeddar blend. Soooo good!

If I don't end up eating the whole loaf, I'l cut what's left and slow toast it into croutons.




13 comments:

  1. tee hee I have a hard time with bread dough!! Humidity here is horrible!! Can u fix me a grilled cheese sandwich?? Please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I know. I hate certain times of the year when you have to keep it in the fridge. It's just not the same! :(

      Come on over, I'm heatin' up the grill pan ...

      Delete
  2. Personally, I hate to cut into a loaf of home made bread, ever. I prefer to break off chunks and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true Armenian ... a hunk of bread and a piece of cheese or something to dunk the bread in. ;)

      Delete
  3. This bread looks delicious, I hardly find any bread with herbs in the market, so thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I visited my Mom, she gave me a recipe for a bread she used to bake when I was a kid. I used that as the jumping-off point to come up with this version. There used to be a store near her that sold all kinds of great breads. There was one I used to love with chocolate and all kinds of things in it, but now I can't remember what else there was. I'm thinking apricots, maybe almonds ... I have more playing to do. ;)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, must try this. Thanks! I will follow any blog about food! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, not sure if that was funny or a back-handed compliment? LOL. Either way, I stopped by my sister's house last night for dinner and Mon night TV (Dancing with the Stars / Castle), and she sent me home with a mini-meatloaf. I cut a few slices today, heated them up, melted cheese over them and made a sandwich on this bread - AWESOME!! :)

      Delete
    2. Did not mean it as back-handed or anything, the bread (along with all the pictures I'm seeing here) look like they must be tried! Will definitely be visiting here. And, I'm proud of myself, I figured out how to set up a "followers" link on my own blog (yeah, I'm sloooooow when it comes to this computer thing). So, if you're interested, it's there. :)

      Delete
    3. Aww, I was just being funny because you said you'd follow "any" blog about food. Already added you as a subscription in my Google Reader, but I see your new GFC button, so I'll hook up that way to make it "official." :)

      Delete
  5. The herb bread looks delicious...so do all the other recipes too! I am a DWTS fan too.... I am following you on Bloglovin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jeez, I forgot all about Bloglovin'! I'll have to take a detour over there later. Thanks for the reminder!!!!!!! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh that bread looks amazing. I do like a nice slice of herb bread. Thanks for visiting my blog again. It was lovely having you drop in again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...