Hye Thyme Cafe: Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks

Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks : Hye Thyme Cafe


I was trying to decide what to serve alongside my Dijon Crusted, Fairy Dusted Pork Chops last night and settled on broccoli, but I also wanted a starch. I didn't feel like making mashed potatoes and didn't want a whole baked potato, so I decided to try something a little different. These slightly spicy slices fit the bill perfectly.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Russet Potato
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1 can DelMonte Zesty Jalapeno Petite Diced Tomatoes
Shredded cheese blend of choice (I used a cheddar/mozzarela blend)
Fresh chopped scallion

Preheat oven to 375.

Wash your potato, then cut a thin slice off one side so you can turn it onto that side and have a stable surface for slicing -- not looking to lose a finger here. Cut the potato into slices about 1/4" thick. 

Coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil and arrange the slices in a single layer, swishing them around in the olive oil to make sure they are nicely coated. Flip them over and repeat, seasoning both sides with a little salt and pepper.

Bake for 30". During that time, open your tomatoes and empty them into a strainer to drain off most of the liquid. Flip the potatoes and return them to the oven.  

When almost cooked through, after about 45", top each slice with a spoonful of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 3-5" to warm the tomatoes and melt the cheese.

Remove from oven and top with scallion slices. Me, channeling my inner dingbat, actually chopped my scallion and had it sitting right next to the stove ... until I went back in the kitchen to pack up the leftovers and realized I had never used them.  :(

You could also use parsley or cilantro in place of the scallions, or add a dollop of sour cream.



Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks : Hye Thyme Cafe
Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks : Hye Thyme Cafe
Cheesy Tomato Potato Planks : Hye Thyme Cafe


2 comments:

  1. Oh yumm!!! I don't always feel like making mashed potatoes either. This would be perfect to add to meal or just make it the meal!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that can of diced tomatoes staring at me that got me to try something different. I love those!! They definitely come in handy.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...