Hye Thyme Cafe: Baked Spaghetti Squash

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Baked Spaghetti Squash

Baked Spaghetti Squash : Hye Thyme Cafe

In addition to stopping at the local Amish Market yesterday to load up on spices for my new apartment, I made sure to stop at the orchard to pick up some Macoun Apples. While I was there, I spotted a small spaghetti squash and decided it would be perfect for dinner.

The first time I ever had spaghetti squash was at a luncheon for the Kidney Foundation. My boss's mother was involved with the event, and my boss had invited me as a tag-along. I actually had to ask what it was (embarrassing). I wasn't a big fan of most squash back then, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I can't for the life of me remember anything else that was served that day.

This would make a great side dish, but considering that I haven't either found the one I had or bought a new microwave yet, I'm trying to avoid certain kinds of leftovers at the moment and decided to make this my dinner.

Baked Spaghetti Squash : Hye Thyme Cafe
INGREDIENTS:
1 Spaghetti Squash
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Grated Parmesan
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Fresh Chopped Parsley


Slice the squash in half lengthwise, using a spoon to scoop out the seeds like you would with a melon.

On a baking tray, brush the cut side with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.

Flip the squash cut-side down and bake at 375 for 20". Most people seem to cook it that way until it's done, but I like to flip them over at this point to give the cut surface and chance to caramelize a little. Cook for another 20" or so until fork tender. To test for doneness, run a fork down one side of the squash to see if the strands separate from the skin easily. If you meet resistance, pop it back in for a few minutes more.

When the squash is fully cooked, allow to cool for a few minutes so you don't burn yourself, add a sliver of butter to each half and commence shredding.  

Transfer the squash to a serving bowl and gently toss with fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, and about 2t of grated Parmesan. The butter will add a note of richness and help your add-ins cling to the squash nicely.

Just before serving, hit the top with an additional sprinkle of Parmesan.


Baked Spaghetti Squash : Hye Thyme Cafe

Baked Spaghetti Squash : Hye Thyme Cafe

Baked Spaghetti Squash : Hye Thyme Cafe


3 comments:

  1. I like using spaghetti squash in place of pasta with marinara sauce. your dish looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's super easy to work with, too, so that's a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...