Hye Thyme Cafe: Mexican Inspired Rice

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mexican Inspired Rice

Mexican Inspired Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe

As much as I love chips and Guacamole, I decided to make a rice side to go along with the Fajitas I made the other night. I love the flavor of the rice you get at Mexican restaurants, but sometimes the texture is odd - either it's very mushy, or it's almost crunchy, like a Mexican version of Fried Rice. This one turned out just right for this Goldilocks.  ;)

INGREDIENTS:
1 c rice (Uncle Ben's)
1 small onion, diced
2 T butter
10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Ro*tel)
10 oz tomato sauce  (Hunt's)
1 can black beans, well rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained (or 1.5-2 c frozen)
1 Roma tomato, diced
1 lime, zested and juiced
Fresh chopped cilantro

Sauté the rice and diced onion in the butter over medium heat just until the onion starts to sweat and take on a touch of color.

Add the canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring it up to a slow boil, stirring every few minutes to prevent scorching, until the liquid starts to absorb.

Turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover and let cook to until just slightly firm, then stir in the corn, black beans, and diced tomato and continue cooking until the rice is done and the beans and corn are heated through
.


Just before serving, stir in the lime zest and juice, and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.

Mexican Inspired Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe

Mexican Inspired Rice : Hye Thyme Cafe

9 comments:

  1. I can tell from the ingredients that this dish is delicious and the picture is there to prove it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was tasty, and the lime added a nice brightness at the end.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely drooling right now.

    I don't cook, but my boyfriend loves to, and I've already found a bunch of recipes to send his way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, hopefully there will be something to pique his interest. Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Mexican flavors, and not everyone makes a good Mexiacan rice, yours looks amazing with all the colors and flavors in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had just wanted to do something different for a change. This was very easy and tasty, with just the right amount of heat.

      Delete
  4. The colors look great! Lots of detail and pictures in your post. The root beer pulled pork was a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pulled pork wasn't exactly a novel idea - I had been seeing versions of it everywhere I looked, but it hooked me, so I had to try it and was glad I did. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...