Hye Thyme Cafe: Review: The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook by Lindsay Landis

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Review: The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook by Lindsay Landis


Cookie Dough Lovers rejoice; your Bible has arrived!

Lindsay Landis, author of the popular food blog Love and Olive Oil, must have the metabolism of a hummingbird and no kinds, cuz there's a whole lotta sugar going on!  Her new cookbook, appropriately dedicated to "anyone who's ever been caught with a finger in the mixing bowl," has taken cookie dough to the extreme.  Borne out of her desire to expand upon one of her most popular recipes, her Cookie Dough Truffles, Lindsay has come up with a collection of recipes from those you might have thought of eventually to those you wouldn't have thought of in a million years!

It all starts with her base cookie dough, which is eggless and sans leavening agents, so it will not make you sick if you eat it, but it also won't rise if you bake it.  Don't get me wrong, many of the recipes do involve baking, but somewhere in the mix you will find a raw dough ... say, as the frosting atop fully-baked sugar cookies, or nestled inside crêpes.  I really did LOL when I read the comment in her Crème Brûlée recipe that maybe she should refer to the cookie dough layer (yes, you read that right, a layer of cookie dough beneath a Crème Brûlée ) as cöokié dóugh.

She must be a cookie dough addict, because she actually presents a chapter of Indulgent Breakfasts.  We're not just talking one or two recipes here.  She gives us seven (7) breakfast options, including the one I can't wait to try because it looks heavenly; Cookie Dough-Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls.  You'll have to pick up your own copy to see that one.

From Candy to Coookies and Brownies; Cakes, Custards and Pies; Frozen Treats; Indulgent Breakfasts; and Fun Snacks and Party Fare, The Cookie Dough Lover's Bible definitely has something to satisfy you sweet tooth ... and your Mom's ... and your kids' ... and your neighbors' ...

There are cookbooks we enjoy for the recipes, while others we might gravitate toward because the photography may be inspiring, or the title rings a note of nostalgia for us, but while reading this cookbook, you can actually feel Linday's love for what she was doing.  That's what really makes it special.  You can feel how invested she was in the project.  Heck, she even did the photography herself.

In addition to some truly tempting recipes (Cookie Dough Swirl Marshmallows, Gingerbread Cookie Dough Peppermint Bark, Cookie Dough Whoopie Pies, Malted Cookie Dough Milkshakes, and Belgian Cookie Dough Waffles with Chocolate Whipped Cream to name a few), Lindsay also provides us with creative packaging ideas for sharing our treats and online resources for supplies.

From a picky editing/foodie perspective, I did have one issue with the book.  I don't know about most people, but I don't typically read the forward matter in cookbooks.  If I do, it will be the first time I open the book, so by the time I get around to making something out of it, I will go directly to the recipe and not necessarily remember everything from the forward.  In this case, Lindsay points out that she uses:
"SALT:  All the recipes in this book have been tested with Morton's brand kosher salt.  If using Diamond brand, which is less salty, increase the amount of salt called for by 25 percent (1 1/4 teaspoons per teaspoon).  If using standard iodized table salt, which has finer granules and therefore a saltier punch, reduce the amount called for by 25 percent (3/4 teaspoon per teaspoon)."
If you don't read the forward every time you use the book, your recipe could produce an unexpected result.  Baker (and non-baker) beware; you might want to put a Post-It on that page as a reminder.

Aside from the previously mentioned Cookie Dough-Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls [drool], the one recipe I am most burning for an excuse to make is Linday's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bread Pudding.  I really wanted to bake up a batch before writing this post, but I'm home alone this week, so that could be dangerous!

Do NOT lick the screen!
Lindsay is busy whipping up another cookbook with her husband, Taylor.  I can't wait to see what they come up with next.  In the meantime, you can order a copy of The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook at:


ISBN: 978-1-59474-564-5
Book Dimensions: 7½ by 8
Page Count: 160
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Book Price: $18.95

[A big thanks, as always, to the folks at Quirk Books for the advance copy.  Although they did provide me with the book, this is not a paid post, and all opinions expressed are strictly my own.]


3 comments:

  1. Am I the only one that doesn't get the addiction to cookie dough? I have to admit, there a few recipes I wouldn't mind trying. maybe it's time to get onboard.
    Nice blog and yes, I see you like to "play" with your recipes as well. I am always changing something.
    Have a nice weekend. Will stop by again and spend more time. Right now I have a 10 hour brisket awaiting a mop or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, but in moderation. I have a nephew who loved it so much and kept stealing parts of my slice-and-bake freezer stash that a few years ago, I made an eggless batch of cookie dough just for him, froze it in little X-Mass Tree and Snowman Molds, then unmolded them, packaged them and put them under the tree on Christmas morning as a silly present. He was very excited. Sadly, his Dad and older brother ate most of them LOL.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to get my copy of this book! I love love love cookie dough and I've been waiting on this book since I first saw its publication info a while back. (And I'll be back to visit your blog too!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...