Hye Thyme Cafe: Rachel Ray's Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rachel Ray's Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon


I have apparently lost my mind, but at least I'm not alone ... my sister remembers it the same way.  We made a mental note some time ago to try a dish we saw Rachel Ray make.  It was a lemon chicken dish, and the way we remember it, she used various chicken parts, cooked it on the stove, and it was in a green enameled pot.  

I finally decided to give it a try, but when I went to pull the recipe, I couldn't find it.  I was sure it was in my recipe stash.  OK, no problem, I'm sure I pulled it up when I saw the show and e-mailed it to myself ... nope.  Hmmmmm?  I clicked on over to the Food Network to look it up, but all I found was the same [different] recipe that I found in my recipe files and e-mail.  Had I hallucinated a different dish?  That's when I asked my sister, and she remembered it the way I did.  So what's up with that, and what kitchen gnome slipped this other recipe in its place???  OK, I'm game, I'll try this one instead.  I was planning to only use chicken breasts anyhow...

2 1/2 lb chicken - in chunks
6 cloves garlic - crushed
3 T fresh rosemary 
3 T EVOO
1 lemon - zested and juiced
1 T grill seasoning (I use Grill Mates
    Montreal Steak Seasoning)
1/2 c dry white wine or chicken broth


Preheat your oven to 450.

Toss your chicken pieces in a baking dish with the garlic, rosemary, olive oil, lemon zest and grill seasoning to coat.

Roast for 20", then add the wine and lemon juice to the pan drippings.



The original recipe called for turning off the oven here and letting the residual heat finish it, but I was afraid 20" wasn't long enough, so I gave it another 10".

When serving, spoon the pan juices over the chicken.


The chicken turned out just right - tender, juicy, etc., but if you're looking for a lemon chicken dish, you definitely need to increase the lemon.  The one I used was ginormous, and we were still looking for more.  I'd add more rosemary too.  The grill seasoning was nice - I've never thought to use it on chicken before. 

Would I make this again?  You betcha.  Would I make it if I was in the mood for lemon chicken?  Maybe, but I'll probably stick with our regular Lemon Chicken with Garlic and Thyme.  Of course that one is breaded, so this is a healthier option.  Guess I'll have to come up with something in between to try next time.

As for that reddish stuff on the left, I happened to notice as I was passing through the organics section in the grocery store that they have quinoa mixes, like for rice (I love Uncle Ben's Broccoli Rice au Gratin!).  I think this one was sun-dried tomato and basil.  Pretty good!



3 comments:

  1. I adore the tender and juicy look of the chicken. Interesting reddish stuff. Yum! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) We love quinoa and try to use it a lot instead of rice or pasta as a side (healthier), but I had never seen the boxed mixes before.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...