Hye Thyme Cafe: Swedish Oatmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, March 4, 2012

Swedish Oatmeal Cookies

Swedish Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

It occurred to me the other day that I don't think I've had a cookie since Christmas! I decided something needed to be done about that immediately and thought back to one of my old favorites. I started baking these when I was a kid and made them quite frequently, but somewhere along the line, as I started branching out into other varieties, they dropped off my radar. I have no idea where I first got the recipe. I tried looking online for the source but nothing rings a bell. I wasn't one to collect recipes back then, so I'm betting it was one of those ads that would come in the mail -- you'd get a few laminated cards with recipes on them trying to entice you to join a program to buy more recipes. I got an awesome chicken recipe off one of those cards. Anyhow, if I can ever verify where I got this from, I will gladly post that information.

In looking at other recipes online, most seem to call for butter. The one I have uses Crisco. I only had half the amount of Crisco required this time, so I used half and half. I also increased the vanilla and almond extract, added cinnamon, and increased the cooking time at the front end - if you don't cook them well enough at first, when you add the topping, it just falls through because they're too soft.


INGREDIENTS :

TOPPING:
  • 2/3 c sugar
  • 1/2 c margarine
  • 2 T corn syrup
  • 2/3 c chopped almonds
  • 1 t almond extract

COOKIES:
  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 c lt brown sugar
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 c Crisco
  • 1/2 c butter 
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 c old fashioned (not quick) oats

For the topping, bring the sugar, margarine, and corn syrup to a boil. Let that cook (stirring to prevent scorching) for about a minute, then remove from heat and stir in the almonds and extract. I used sliced almonds and just crushed them into smaller pieces. Set the topping aside to cool while you make your cookies.

Beat together everything but the oats for a minute or so until well combined, then stir in the oats.  

Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto parchment-lined trays.  

Bake at 350 for 10", then allow to sit for a minute to cool (set) slightly before dropping 1/2 teaspoon of topping onto the center of each.

Return to the oven for an additional 4-5" until golden and the topping has spread. After the first 2-3", you will see the corn syrup start to foam and bubble, then it will spread over your cookies.  

Allow the cookies to cool right on the tray. If you try to remove them to a cooling rack, because of the heat and the weight of the topping, they'll fall right through.

What is wrong with me? I don't know why I waited so long to make these again. I brought them to work and the vanished pretty quickly. A few of the comments were ...
  1. These are the best oatmeal cookies I have eaten in my e-n-t-i-r-e life!
  2. I went off points for these!  (Apparently she's on Weight Watchers LOL)
  3. What makes them Swedish?  (I wish I knew - I'm guessing the topping)
Aside from just the flavor, they're kinda the best of all worlds when it comes to cookies - crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside with a gooey center.



 

 



Swedish Oatmeal Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...