Hye Thyme Cafe: Raspberry Butter Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Raspberry Butter Cookies

Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe


I have developed the terrible habit of picking up random ingredients with no intended use in mind. When Christmas was approaching, it occurred to me that I had to use at least a few of them. I have teeny tiny marshmallows, dried marshmallows like you find in cereal, lemon confectionery chips, freeze dried raspberries, jalapeno powder, and the list goes on. I used some of the mini marshmallows in a Coaoa Panna Cotta on Christmas Eve (which I apparently forgot to blog), that still left a lot to play with. I settled on using two of the ingredients to experiment with these lemon-iced raspberry cookies.

INGREDIENTS :
1 c butter
1 c sugar (not quite full)
2 T raspberry jam (I'll increase next time)
1 egg
2 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
3 T freeze dried raspberries
lemon confectionery chips
cream (or milk)



Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then mix in the egg and jam.  





I was afraid the jam might make the cookies spread too thin and burn, so I only omitted a small amount of sugar from the recipe and replaced it with 2T of jam. Now that I've made them, I will definitely feel safe in increasing the amount next time.

Whisk the baking powder into the flour (with a fork is fine), then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, a little at a time until incorporated, finally stirring in the freeze dried raspberries.

Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe
Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe





 



Scoop the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap to form a "log," then twist the ends to seal and chill for at least an hour. I had so much going on that day, I left it in the fridge overnight.

Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350, slice the dough into 1/4" rounds, and place on parchment-lined trays. (Don't mind the rings; we had just made a batch of Simit, so I was "recycling" the parchment.) Bake until just lightly golden, about 15".

Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe

Because I like the combination of raspberry and lemon, I wanted to use the lemon chips to ice the cookies. To do that, I poured some of the chips into a ramekin, added a few drops of cream, and slowly melted the chips in the microwave. Then I just poured a spoonful over the cookies and spread it with the back of the spoon.  

Some I left like that, others I sprinkled more of the freeze-dried raspberries on. I then decided to try and ice some of the cookies with raspberry, by stirring some jam into a little confectioner's sugar - I was thinking back to icing cookies with confectioner's sugar mixed with milk and an extract, so I was hoping the jam would replace the milk in this instance, but it never really set. I would have had to add way too much of the sugar.  I did leave some of the cookies "naked."  


Raspberry Butter Cookies : Hye Thyme Cafe










Because we were all so full and nobody really got around to desserts on Christmas Eve or Christmas night this year, I was pleasantly surprised to find out we got a phone call about these cookies as the result of a to-go plate. I always like to make at least one new item every year.  


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...