Hye Thyme Cafe: Broccoli Slaw

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, January 30, 2012

Broccoli Slaw



This is my last post to go along with the Root Beer Pulled Pork and Refrigerator Pickles I made the other night. I'm very picky when it comes to Cole Slaw, but I used to love a version that one of my cousins would make now and again. It was just a cabbage slaw mix with some sort of poppy seed dressing. It has been so long now, I can't remember the dressing. I'm thinking it was a vidalia onion poppy seed dressing. I would recognize the bottle if I saw it, but of course it has been so long now, they have probably changed their packaging.

I decided to make something along those lines as a side dish, but I didn't want to buy a whole cabbage with no other use in mind for the rest of it. I checked the bagged slaw mix, but it all looked pretty sad, so I grabbed a bag of broccoli slaw instead and doctored that up.  


INGREDIENTS :
1 bag broccoli slaw
2 carrots, shredded or matchstick cut
1 Granny Smith apple, matchstick cut
1/3 c dried cranberries

DRESSING :
6 oz container of plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
1 T mayonnaise   (*See note below)
1/2 t celery seed
pinch each of salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning
2 t cider vinegar

The slaw mix came with some shredded carrots, but not that much, so I wanted to pump up the volume on that count. As for the mayo, I had wanted to use yogurt for a healthier version, but decided to add the mayo to give it more richness and to cut the tartness of the yogurt. I didn't want it to be obvious that it was yogurt.

Toss together the slaw ingredients, then whisk or process your dressing ingredients, pour over the slaw and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.


*NOTE:  We dunked some extra carrot sticks into the dressing to taste test it and really liked the way it turned out, but when we went to eat the slaw with dinner, we realized when everything was combined, it was a little on the tart side, and the dressing didn't quite stretch far enough. I thought it would be plenty based on the Amaretto Grapes I made last week with 6 oz of yogurt. Soooo, the next day, we added a squirt of Agave Nectar for the sweet and a blob more mayo for better coverage. That did the trick!  

 



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...