Hye Thyme Cafe: 6 Minute Microwave Potato Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

6 Minute Microwave Potato Chips

Microwave Potato Chips : Hye Thyme Cafe

I was making a big pot of Beef Stew last night and knew that I had more potato than I needed, so an idea popped into my head ... it's so easy to make beet chips in the microwave, what would happen if I tried potatoes?? Since I was just experimenting, I didn't bother whipping out the mandoline. I just sliced the potato as thin as I could with the knife I was using.

I placed the slices on a paper plate and gave them a light sprinkle of salt, then popped them in the microwave for 2 minutes, flipped them, salted the other side, popped them back in for another 2 minutes, then flipped them and popped them back in for another 2. That's it!

The only "problem" I had was that when I went to flip them the first time, a few of the edges had stuck to the plate. They have a shine to them like a rice cracker, but they taste like baked potato chips. The thinner slices came out very crispy, the thicker ones a little softer, but I didn't bother putting them back in. I'll try this again using the mandoline next time for consistent slices. Maybe I'll experiment with flavors.

As for beets, you need to keep a very close eye on them once the moisture gets sucked out of them, because they will burn very quickly. I have made the beet chips a few times, but don't think I paid attention to the time - just watched and flipped until they were done.


Microwave Potato Chips : Hye Thyme Cafe

Microwave Potato Chips : Hye Thyme Cafe

Microwave Potato Chips : Hye Thyme Cafe

Microwave Potato Chips : Hye Thyme Cafe

4 comments:

  1. You and I really are on the same wavelength! I love making microwave chips. Try using a glass baking dish with a little baking spray and they'll come right up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy! That's funny. Have you tried the beets? They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tango - any excuse to play. I had pretty much been a microwave popcorn person (when too lazy to make it on the store) or using the microwave to melt things, but I'm using it more and more lately for random stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...