Hye Thyme Cafe: Stuffed Peppadews

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stuffed Peppadews

Stuffed  Peppadews : Hye Thyme Cafe

It's like a disease with us - my sister and I keep vowing to cut back on the holiday menu, yet new things keep mysteriously appearing. We DID manage to drop an Onion Tart and a Souffle from the menu. When I was shopping for ingredients, I walked by the olive bar and couldn't help myself. I filled up a container of Peppadew Peppers, then headed directly to the cheese department to see what I could stuff them with. This is a super simple item when you need something quick. One of my nephews was the first to pop one, and when I asked how they were, he declared "Fantastic!" I don't know about that, but I'll definitely keep this in mind for future reference.

If you are not familiar with Peppadews, they are a hot pepper, but they are also very sweet. The heat comes at the front and passes quickly, so you won't be scrambling for water if they're too hot for you. By the way, they say water doesn't help in those situations and that you should really reach for something acidic to neutralize the capsaicin. Try tomato juice, or a wedge of citrus instead.



INGREDIENTS :
Peppadew Peppers
Garlic/Herb Boursin (or other) 
   Cheese Spread 
Fresh herbs for garnish





As a warning, we introduced our Mom to Peppadews when she came for a visit over the summer. She really liked them, so I looked online to see where she could get them when she went back to New Orleans. I found them in jars at Martin Wine Cellar, so she immediately stopped in for a supply. The next time I spoke with her, she told me the ones in the jar were so hot, they almost blew her head off, so make sure you taste test! 

You could always stir or whip the cheese spread to soften it, then use a piping bag (or ziplock with a corner snipped) to pipe the spread into the peppers, but these have such a large opening, I didn't bother. I like to use iced tea spoons for things like this.  They're just small and shallow enough to do the trick.

Stuffed  Peppadews : Hye Thyme Cafe


Once they're all stuffed, give them a sprinkle of your favorite fresh herb for garnish, and you're good to go! I had a bunch of parsley leftover from making Stuffed Grapeleaves the other night, so I used that this time.

Stuffed  Peppadews : Hye Thyme Cafe



4 comments:

  1. This looks great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! You couldn't get much easier than that, and with the red and green, they looked nice and Christmasy on the table. Of course you don't need to wait for Christmas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice little addition for New Year's Day. We like to have munchies throughout the day...thanks for the recipe! And Happy New Year, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still working on Christmas leftovers! There will be NO new munchies in our house for New Years! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...