Hye Thyme Cafe: Mustard Greens

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mustard Greens

Mustard Greens : Hye Thyme Cafe


My first encounter with mustard greens was over the summer, when I had them as the base of a tomato salad. Since then, I've had them in sauces, pesto, dressings, etc., but I had yet to actually eat them as a "green," like with spinach, kale, etc. So, when I picked some up the other day to use under a Butternut Squash Salad, I decided to cook up the rest as a side.

We all really liked it, but strangely, agreed that it somehow reminded us of Chinese food. I'll have to remember that the next time I have leftover pork tenderloin. That would be a great pairing.   


INGREDIENTS :
1 bunch mustard greens
5-6 slices bacon
1 t jarred minced garlic with red pepper
1 red onion, sliced
2 pickled cherry peppers, seeded and diced 


Wash and tear the mustard greens into pieces, removing any particularly thick stalks.

Cook the bacon until very crisp, then set aside for the moment.  

Drain off most of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to saute the garlic and onion.

Once the onion is translucent, toss in the diced pepper, then start adding the torn greens. If your pan isn't deep enough to accommodate it all, don't worry - like spinach, it will cook waaaaay down in just a minute.




Mustard Greens : Hye Thyme Cafe


Crumble and mix in the bacon at the very end so it doesn't get soggy. 

1 comment:

  1. Yumm!!! I love greens!! I always sprinkle a little hot pepper vinegar on mine!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...