Hye Thyme Cafe: Taco Meatloaf

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Taco Meatloaf

Taco Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe


Does anyone else do this? When I get an idea for a recipe I'd like to try, or a new cooking technique or ingredient I want to play with, I actually add it to a list so I don't forget about it. I usually think of things when I'm either in the car on my way home from work, or in bed trying to fall asleep, so I have no idea how many I may have forgotten about before they even made it onto my list. Anyhow, one of those things was a Taco Meatloaf or Taco Burgers.

After going to Carrabba's the other day and swooning over their Sangria (no, not because it was too strong for me LOL), I was transported back to high school, when I went to Spain and first had Sangria.  I wanted to see if I could duplicate Carrabba's version (no such luck - yet),  so I realized that would be a good time to try the Taco Meatloaf or Burgers. Given the time of year, I decided to go with the Meatloaf (besides, I'm kinda skeerd a the gas grill - lighting it anyhow). 

Half way down Walton Mountain (That's wat I call the hill we live on. It's three miles from the bottom to our house - not a straight climb of course.), it occurred to me that it was Sunday, so the liquor stores wouldn't be open to get what I needed for Sangria. Imagine my surprise when I found out they are in fact open on Sunday. When did that happen??

Even stranger ... on my way back up Walton Mountain, I was listening to an interview on NPR. Does that make me old? I have my radio set to a talk station? Sniffle, sniffle. The interview was of a chef whose name escapes me. He has a new cookbook coming out, and rather than being set up by course or by ingredient, it's by cooking technique. They decided to discuss water, and he mentioned that he always cooks meatloaf using a water bath. Excuse me? I've never heard of anyone using a water bath for something like that - much less when it's formed into a loaf rather than pressed into a loaf pan. I'm used to using a water bath for custards and that sort of thing, so I assumed it involved the mixture actually touching the water to be affected by its heat. That's what I get for assuming!  

The meatloaf turned out awesome, and perfectly tender. Never having used a water bath for meatloaf before, I can't say whether that or the ingredients, or a combination of the two, was responsible for the texture. I'll have to try my "regular" meatloaf in a water bath next time so I can make a comparison.  

I wanted to hit on everything we normally include with tacos, so I got ground beef, taco seasoning, black olives, onion, tomato, salsa (or taco sauce), cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapenos (I used a pablano since we had a fresh one that needed to be used up), and corn muffins to replace breadcrumbs or stuffing and serve in place of the taco shells.  You can save the lettuce for sandwiches with the leftovers.  ;)

INGREDIENTS :
2.5 - 3 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced fine
1 tomato, diced
6 oz can black olives, diced
1 c shredded cheese (Mexican or Pizza blend  + more for garnish)
1 egg
Two 1.25 oz packets taco seasoning 
   (I used one regular and one low sodium)
3 T fresh chopped cilantro (+ more for garnish)
2 corn muffins, crumbled
whatever hot peppers you like with tacos 
   (I used half a fresh poblano, but could have used more)
1/2 c salsa, divided
sour cream for garnish


Gently mix together everything but the sour cream and 1/4 c of the salsa, and form it into a loaf in a casserole dish or pan. Slather the top with that extra 1/4 c of salsa, then set that pan inside of a larger pan, and fill the larger pan about half way with very hot water. Bake at 375 for about an hour and a half.  

Taco Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

Taco Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

That's another crazy thing - temperatures. My "regular" meatloaf cooks at 350 for an hour and a half. Never having used a water bath before, I looked online and found some that call for 400 degrees for an hour; 400 for an hour covered and 30" uncovered; 375 for 45-50"; 375 for 35-40", you name it. I was afraid of cracking a dish at 400, so I went with 375 for an hour and a half to be safe. It came out perfectly moist and tender, and the corn muffins turned out to be an interesting choice, since they added a note of sweetness to the mix.

I sprinkled a little more cheese on top to melt in while it was resting. I was actually shocked by how much liquid came out, so as soon as it was rested, I used two big spatulas to transfer it to a serving platter. With my luck, if I tried to pour off the liquid, I would have flipped the meatloaf right out of the pan.  ;)


Taco Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe

In keeping with the whole taco theme, I topped each slice with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of that reserved fresh chopped cilantro. For sides, I went with vegetarian refried beans topped with scallions, and steamed haricot vert (a/k/a skinny French string beans) with a pat of butter. In place of having chips and salsa with the "tacos," I made a light salad of thinly sliced tomato and avocado dressed with fresh cracked pepper, a little sea salt, and balsamic dressing.


Taco Meatloaf : Hye Thyme Cafe



15 comments:

  1. This looks sooo good. What a great idea. I especially like left over meatloaf sandwiches the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that sounds like the best dinner ever!!! I am making the whole thing very soon. Thanks for being inspired and sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny timing. I was just talking about this with someone the other night. I'll have to make it again soon too. :) Hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious! I've never heard of the water bath for meatloaf before, but it definitely sounds like something to try (with your recipe, of course). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to try it with our "regular" meatloaf to see if it really made a difference, but I never think of it until after the fact! I definitely loved this one though and was glad I thought to use the corn muffins in place of breadcrumbs or stuffing! :)

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious. I never heard of a water bath so that's for info. I'm going to keep this in mind for next time I make corn muffins. We never eat them after the first day so this would be a good time to try. I know I could substitute but I am a "by the book cook", I definitely don't "play around" with recipes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used a water bath before, but only for custards and that type of thing. Oooh, as for leftover corn muffins, another great use for those is Baked Tomatoes with Cornbread and Basil... http://hyethymecafe.blogspot.com/2010/10/baked-tomatoes-with-cornbread-and-basil.html

      Delete
  5. Just discovered you and your blog thru the Tuesday Archive link. I am always looking for new recipes, will definitely be checking in frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you stop by! Funny timing. Just as you were posting here, I was logging back onto the original post to see if anyone new has been added. Still browsing ... :)

      Delete
  6. As always - yum. But just to show you how much I lack in cooking skills - I had never heard of a water bath before. Sad, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people use them for their cheesecake, but I've never had a problem with cheesecake and don't like the idea of wrapping my springform in tinfoil to submerge it in water. It's great for creme brule and other things that look for moist heat.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea! It looks so delicious!
    Although we have a lot of dietary restrictions due to allergies, I can't wait to look through the rest of your posts and see what I can use!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fortunately we only have shellfish allergies in our extended family. Must be tough with different restrictions. Especially nowadays with so many peanut and gluten allergies, etc. Hope you can find something useful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god!! look at all this yummy food i'd also like to try to make.. tonight i made cottage pie and got the recipe on the internet.. but sometimes i just follow my instincts and usually it turns out really good..

    ohh yum yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to actually look up cottage pie. I had never heard the term before. I assumed what it was (correctly), but had never heard it before. I always thought it strange to refer to a dish most people make with ground beef as shepherd's pie, when cows are herded, not shepherded. Strangely, being Armenian and having grown up on lamb, you would think I make it with lamb but nope - I have always made "shepherd's pie" with beef. Go figure! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...