Hye Thyme Cafe: Butternut Squash Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, November 6, 2011

Butternut Squash Salad

Butternut Squash Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe

First let me apologize. I guess it's a good thing I don't have more followers yet - that would mean more people I have left hanging for a while. I've just been in this weird funk I can't seem to pull  myself out of to get back to cooking / baking / blogging regularly. I'm also really depressed because I didn't win the Powerball last week. It was over $200M!! Someone in CT is VERRRRRY lucky! If they can just get their power back on and find where they put that ticket!  ;)

Part of our household is avoiding carbs at the moment, so in wanting to make a side dish the other night that steered clear of potatoes, rice, etc., and decided to go with butternut squash. I remembered having seen a post for a Sweet Potato Salad with a buttermilk dressing a few years ago and have been meaning to try that but didn't want to use sweet potatoes that day. We have used pumpkin a few times already recently, so I opted for the squash instead. By the way, I just looked it up, and there's not as big a difference in carbs between the butternut and the potatoes as I thought. They're pretty close in fiber too. Oh well.

We all enjoyed the flavors in this dish but were left debating the texture. I opted to roast the squash, so I'm left wondering how it would have worked boiled, or maybe just cut into smaller pieces. You could definitely feel the fibrous strands as you were eating it ... no, it wasn't undercooked. If it had cooked longer, it would have been mushy. Just something to think about. Ironically, the very next day, I scanned through my new Google Reader posts and saw that Brown Eyed Baker just posted an oddly similar recipe - Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette.  Maybe I should ask her about the texture??  ;)


INGREDIENTS :
1 Butternut Squash
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
2T plain yogurt
1 T agave nectar 
2 t rice vinegar
1 t cinnamon
1 c pecans - rough chopped
3/4 c dried cranberries - rough chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
Mustard greens


Peel, seed, and cube the squash, then toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 375 until fork tender - about 20".  Set aside to cool. 



Stir together the yogurt, agave nectar, rice vinegar, and cinnamon.

Transfer the squash to a serving bowl, pour in the pecans and cranberries, then gently fold in the dressing to coat.


Serve over a bed of mustard greens sliced into ribbons.


Butternut Squash Salad : Hye Thyme Cafe
 
Kinda funny - although there are a bunch of colors mixed in, I just noticed in looking at this picure how I apparently decided to color coordinate dinner that night. Pineapple rings over baked ham steaks, the butternut squash, and corn. Even funnier is that I carried it a step further and decided to try the mustard greens as "greens" as well, but you can't see that on the other side of the plate, so I've got varying shades of yellow and green going on.

This salad was actually a nice combination - the squash playing against the sweetness from the cranberries, the slightly sharp bite of the greens, the tangy yogurt, and then the nuts. There's a lot going on with flavor and texture - I'm just not sure I like the texture of the squash itself. If you give this one a shot, come back and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I love baked butternut squash!! But not sure if I'd like it a salad?? Guess I'll have to try it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to Butternut, I'm used to having it either boiled and mashed, or battered and fried. I can't remember ever having it baked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not so sure about the texture for a salad. It does seem like a good combination of flavors though. Nice to see you blogging again. You were missed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...