Hye Thyme Cafe: Rosemary Cornmeal Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, October 10, 2011

Rosemary Cornmeal Cookies



I was invited to dinner at a neighbor's last night, so I automatically asked what I could bring. She insisted that I just bring myself, but I couldn't do that! Not knowing what was on the menu, I didn't want to step on any toes by making a salad or some sort of dinner rolls, so I figured I'd play it safe and bring a dessert. That made me think about the cookbook I recently reviewed, Cookiepedia, and that there were a few recipes in it that I wanted to try. I settled on the Rosemary Cornmeal Cookies.



INGREDIENTS:
citrus zest (optional)
3/4 c butter - room temp
1/2 c sugar
2 yolks
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c cornmeal
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
Rosemary


If you plan to include citrus zest, she recommended incorporating it into the butter at the start. I whipped 2t lemon zest into the butter before creaming it together with the sugar, but I will definitely increase that next time.  

Once that mixture is light and fluffy, add the egg yolks, then the vanilla, beating well.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/3 at a time to the butter mixture. Form into ball, wrap in plastic and chill 1'.












The original directions recommending rolling out the dough on a lightly-floured surface to 1/4" thick. Cut using 2 1/2" cutter and place 1" apart on parchment. Sprinkle with rosemary, pressing to adhere. Bake until edges start to brown, 10-12".

I had already planned to cut the cookies with a pizza wheel rather than cutters, so I was thinking I could roll it right on the parchment, transfer the parchment to the baking sheet and separate the cookies to give them growing room. What I didn't count on was how soft the dough was. First it kept pulling up as I was rolling it. That was fine because it was so easy to just press it back in, but I didn't think trying to slide them around on the parchment would work well, so I ended up using a mini spatula to transfer them to another sheet. 

I don't know why, but for some reason, it popped into my head to whip out my gnocchi board (no, I still haven't actually made gnocchi) to press lines into the cookies. I ended up being pleasantly surprised that it only stuck to a few.  

All in all, I like these cookies and would make them again, but I'll increase the lemon zest and cut back a little on the cornmeal. I like that the cornmeal added a different texture, but it was actually a little too much for these delicate cookies.




6 comments:

  1. They look great, Chris. I can't say I've ever had rosemary on a cookie. Was it tasty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! I hadn't had rosemary in/on a cookie before either - thyme yes, but not rosemary. I was pleasantly surprised. I was afraid it was going to turn into a stick when it baked, but not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty! I don't bake or cook much with Rosemary - just don't have that many recipes that call for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These really sound delicious and they are a cookie that is completely new to me. I really like that. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I really like the recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mary, that was very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...