Hye Thyme Cafe: Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham

Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe

I think I'm in trouble! Saturday night, it was pointed out to me that there was a ham in the fridge and that I'd be the only one home early enough to get it in the oven if we wanted it for dinner on Sunday. Usually when I bake a ham, it's the standard diamond scoring, push a bunch of cloves in where the diamonds meet, baste with pineapple juice, yada, yada, yada. This time I thought OK, great, this gives me an excuse to set aside all the other stuff I've been doing lately and finally crack open the cookbook I recently won from Susan Russo (a/k/a Food Blogga) over on Pork, Knife & Spoon. I mean seriously, the cookbook is An Obsession with Ham - The Hindquarter. Sooooo, I found a recipe in there for Roasted Fresh Ham with a Maple-Spice Glaze and loosely translated that into my own version.  

The ham turned out great!  The feedback went something like this ...
  • This is one of the best hams I've ever had
  • Make sure you write it down
  • I wrote it down as I was doing it
  • This is awesome
  • This tastes like a holiday
  • Make sure you write it down  
  • I wrote it down as I was doing it
  • I think we have a new holiday dish
  • I almost feel bad eating this in September
  • Make sure you write it down

So what's the problem you ask? Ummmm -- I did laundry Sunday night. Yup, I did it. When I pulled my clothes out of the dryer yesterday morning to get dressed for work, I found a wadded up piece of paper. I thought no way! I specifically remember emptying my pockets and taking out a folded up piece of paper. I went and found that paper, only to realize it was for a different recipe. Sniffle, sniffle, sob! Hopefully I am remembering what I used closely enough to pass muster the next time around.

RUB :
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t ground clove
1 t smoked salt
1 t smoky paprika
2 t light brown sugar


 

GLAZE :
1/2 c apricot preserves
2 t  Cajun Foreplay spice blend






There was plenty of rub for our 11 pound ham, but I did end up making more of the glaze.  I saved what little was left of the preserves to add to the drippings for a sauce. 

Preheat the oven to 300, then pat your ham dry and place it on a rack in a roasting pan. I have never baked a ham cut-side down before, but I have been seeing a lot of that lately and decided to give it a shot. Maybe it depends on the ham, because I didn't really see a benefit, but knock yourself out if you want to do it this way.

Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe
Stir together all of the rub spices and gently massage them all over your ham. Loosely cover the ham with foil and pop it in the oven. It's supposed to bake for 20-25" per pound at 325, but I was baking mine at 300, so I gave it extra time. I chose 300 for a few reasons - first because I was stalling, not knowing who would be home when. Second, I was using apricot preserves rather than the authentic maple syrup called for in the cookbook recipe, so I wanted to make sure the preserves didn't just burn.  

While the ham is in the oven, stir together the preserves and spice blend to give them a chance to fuse. You have two options here as well. If your preserves are particularly chunky, you can either run the mix through your food processor, or you can use it as is, then spoon off any residual chunks when the ham comes out and add them to the pan if you're going to deglaze the drippings to make a sauce. I chose option 2.


Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe
When there is about a half hour left on the clock, pull the ham out, remove the foil, slather it with the preserve mixture and return it to the oven - uncovered.  

When it comes out, let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving.





Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe

Smoky Sweet Glazed Baked Ham : Hye Thyme Cafe



4 comments:

  1. Oh it looks good!! Bummer you washed your recipe :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I tried VERY carefully to open that little wad of paper to see what was left, but all I saw was the temperature! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be delicious with all the spices used and apricot glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was, but honestly, I was thinking about it the next day, and I'm debating using the rub next time but keeping the preserves separate and just making them into the sauce. The spices sort of worked their way INTO the ham as it was baking, but the glazed stayed on top, and how much of the outside do you really eat to get the glaze?? I'll definitely still make the sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...