Hye Thyme Cafe: Key Lime Angel Pie

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, September 3, 2011

Key Lime Angel Pie

Key Lime Angel Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

A star is born ... well, accessories aside. I need to either practice putting what's in my head onto the plate, or learn to leave well enough alone. Maybe both. This would have turned out prettier if I had stuck to plain citrus zest on the top, or toasted some regular sweetened coconut, but I had it in my head to candy some key lime slices and lightly toast fresh coconut curls. By the way, how does one get fresh coconut to curl? Or is that a byproduct of drying process - which I obviously skipped. Leave it to me to manage to get something that is simultaneously undercooked and scorched. I was making dinner at the time, so while mashing potatoes with one hand and making gravy with the other, I took my eyes off the oven for a minute and charred it. Oops. Better the coconut than my dinner.

Ever since I first had the lemon version of this pie, it has been my absolute favorite. My brother-in-law, who detests pie crust, also loves that pie and is a key lime fan, so I have had it in my head for a while now to try a key lime version. The problem has been the apparent conspiracy by the local markets against me to never have the ingredients I need when I want to make something. I swear, they have weekly meetings and everything! The only reason I was able to try this is that my sister went to the store and found the limes. See, if I was with her, they wouldn't have had any!  

You can find the recipe over on my post about the lemon version. As I noted there, I usually double the filling. This time around, I doubled the citrus/egg part (added a bout a half drop of green food coloring for contrast against the yolks) and folded it into one and a half times the whipped cream to get more bang for the buck out of the limes.

Yesterday was one of those days when I was thankful for double ovens. It was so rainy and humid out, I was afraid my meringue shell wouldn't turn out right. It came out beautiful, nice and deep, so while I was making dinner in the top oven, I threw it in the bottom to cool so it would be in a semi air-tight environment until I was ready to fill it.

Key Lime Angel Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe


Key Lime Angel Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe


I reserved three of the limes to attempt to candy the slices. I boiled them in a half cup of sugar mixed with a half cup of water for about 5", then let them drain/cool and sprinkled with sugar. 


My intention was not to sweeten the coconut since I was just using a little for garnish, so I followed the instructions that came with it - poke holes through the eyes, empty the liquid, then bake at 375 for 10", cover with a towel and hammer to crack the shell open. I used a veggie peeler to get the slices.  Being in a rush at that point, I just sprayed a small foil-lined tray with PAM and threw it in the oven at 275 --- then forgot about it.



Not wanting to waste the coconut juice, and already having that lime syrup handy, I poured both into a pitcher and added a bottle of Poland Spring water and some crushed ice to make a refreshing beverage to go with dinner. How's that for recycling?

Key Lime Angel Pie : Hye Thyme Cafe

I'm still partial to the lemon, but the key lime got a big thumbs up! I think next time, I'll make sure I have extra zest for the top and add some (correctly) toasted sweetened coconut flakes in the filling and on top. Raspberries would be good too with the lime. I usually use kiwi slices and/or strawberries and/or blueberries on the lemon.

This pie is great any time, but it's definitely light and refreshing for a summertime treat.
   

3 comments:

  1. I think your pie turned out very nice and loved the coconut and candied lime toppings makes is so tropical. Thanks for sharing.

    Also thank you for sharing Tyler's story. She sounds like she was such a loving pup. The way you described her opening presents is exactly how my Panchito opened his. We are both blessed for having had them in our lives. Have a beautiful weekend Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hopefully they are both healthy and happy and running around playing somewhere out there now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a huge fan of fresh coconut. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...