Hye Thyme Cafe: Honeydew Granita with New Mexico Chiles

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, September 12, 2011

Honeydew Granita with New Mexico Chiles

Honeydew Granita with New Mexico Chiles : Hye Thyme Cafe


I promise, there is only one more chile recipe coming after this one, then I'll give it a rest (for a while anyhow). I was just having so much fun the other day playing with the chiles while coming up with a recipe for the Marx Foods Blogger Chile Recipe Contest! The polls opened for voting today if you feel like wandering over and throwing a vote my way.  ;)

Aside from being ridiculously simple, refreshing, and tasty, this one was just plain fun! It was fun to make (a good chance to vent some frustration), and fun to eat (who doesn't like an Icee or Italian Ice?).


INGREDIENTS :
1 honeydew melon  (pureed to produce 3 c juice)
1 c water
A little shy of 1/2 c sugar
2 t lime juice
1 T New Mexico Chiles - ground


Start by grinding your chiles, then toss them in a small pot with the sugar and water, let it come up to a boil, then add the lime juice, reduce the temp and let it simmer for about 3". Remove from heat.

While the chile syrup is cooling, seed and juice your melon however you are most comfortable. Personally, I have been having issues with trying to puree things with either the blender or the food processor lately, so I went rogue and decided to have at it with a microplane. It may have taken longer, but it worked great! Aside from getting more out of it because I was able to get so close to the rind, whatever pulp was left behind was so smooth, I could have included it with no textural issues. The reason I didn't was that I actually managed to get even more juice out of the melon than I needed for the amount of syrup, so I poured it through a very fine strainer.


Pour everything together in a large pan or casserole dish, bearing in mind that the smaller the surface area the longer the freeze time, and stir to combine. Once I added the chile syrup to that beautiful green juice, I realized what a disgusting combination that produced! It pretty much turned brown on me, so I added a drop of green food coloring. If you're still turned off by the color, you can go with a drop of yellow too, to brighten it up.



Slide the tray into the freezer, and as soon as it starts to set, run a fork across it to shave the forming ice particles. I noticed that it froze faster around the edges, so I worked my way around the edges and sort of pulled that part into the middle and pushed the slushier center outward. Repeat every 15" or 20" until it's all nicely shaved, and enjoy!

Honeydew Granita with New Mexico Chiles : Hye Thyme Cafe



4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris,

    This does seem fun and refreshing at the same time. I'm half tempted to make it for my kids, but forget to tell them the chili peppers are in there. Lol.

    Anyway, first time stopping by your blog, the recipes look delicious. I'm bookmarking this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I like about the New Mexico chiles. They're kind of a sweet heat - not overwhelming at all. Glad you stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe and am going to have to try it! Being a lover of NM green chile, I can only imagine how they complement the melon! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it. I never had the New Mexico until last year, but I love them! I think they're my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...