Hye Thyme Cafe: A Question ... and a Brief Intermission

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, August 8, 2011

A Question ... and a Brief Intermission

 

Just so nobody thinks I ran away or fell off the planet, I've got company in from out of town this week and next. Not sure how much time I'll have in the kitchen or at the computer, so if you don't see me until after the 19th, I'm not ignoring you.

In the meantime, if you've got any questions, comments, suggestions you want to throw my way to address when I get back ... or maybe you've been wanting to try something new but are afraid to tackle it and want to see someone else torture themself with it first, let me know. I'm always up for a challenge.  ;)

As for my question, as soon as they opened for the season, I stopped in at our local garden center to pick up some herbs (because those are the only things I can grow). On my way out, some starter pickling cucumber plants caught my eye. We eat so much Watermelon-Cucumber Salad in the summer, I figured what the heck, and grabbed a few to put in pots out on the deck to see what would happen. Well, this is what happened. I ended up with what look more like limes than cucumbers. Anyone know why they're growing round like this?? A lot of them have come up, and they have a good flavor to them, but they're all shaped this way - doesn't matter if they're laying on the soil, hanging over the side, etc.




3 comments:

  1. Never seen these before. I am sure they taste great. Hope you have a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time seeing this but if it taste good, no need to worry about the look and shape right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are actually very sweet and crisp - just funny looking. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...