Hye Thyme Cafe: Prosciutto-Cantaloupe Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Prosciutto-Cantaloupe Salad



I wasn't the one making dinner tonight, so this was just sort of a last minute idea I threw together. Some killer beef tips and pilaf were waiting on me, so I didn't have a lot of time to play with plating and photos, but I figured if I didn't write this down now, having pretty much zero retention, I'd end up forgetting about it! I keep hearing about people wrapping slices of cantaloupe with prosciutto, or skewering melon balls with prosciutto in between, etc., so I got it in my head to use them together in a salad to accompany dinner.

At first, I was thinking of using some of the Kale Pesto I made last week to make a vinaigrette, but I was afraid that would be too strong. It definitely came in handy last night though - we made pizzas, and I used the pesto as a base for one of them with chicken, mozzarella, and romano. We all loved it! Anyhow, everyone really liked the salad, so I'll be playing around with it more in the future. I think I'll add some toasted pine nuts or something next time to introduce another texture.  


INGREDIENTS:  (3 servings)
6 leaves of romaine lettuce
a few handfuls of a spring mix of greens
6 slices prosciutto
1/4 cantaloupe
1/4 English cucumber
small amount of red onion, sliced thin
olive oil
white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
  
I didn't think we would like the texture of the prosciutto in a salad in it's original state, so I layered it between sheets of paper towels, like you would with bacon, and microwaved it for 2.5". I'll keep it in a little longer next time so it's really crispy. I may also introduce an herb - maybe thyme or dill?? Any suggestions from someone who has paired prosciutto with cantaloupe before??

Wash and tear the romaine and toss with the spring mix. 

Slice the melon, cucumber, and onion very thin. I started using a veggie peeler, then noticed that the cantaloupe was starting to look like the prosciutto when sliced that thin, so I switched to a knife. Add them to the bowl with the greens, then crumble and add the prosciutto.

Deciding to stick with a mild-flavored dressing so as not to obscure the other ingredients, I opted for just a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic with a little salt and pepper.
  
 

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I just bookmarked a recipe in everyday food magazine that is very similar! By the way, you can crisp prosciutto in the oven and then crumble it like bacon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I just figured the microwave would be faster than the oven. I'll have to look up that everyday recipe and see what they did for a dressing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love prosciutto and melon! Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...