Hye Thyme Cafe: Name That Sandwich ...

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, July 16, 2011

Name That Sandwich ...


 
I won't repeat myself here ... you can read how this sandwich came about in the recipe for the tomatoes if you want. I actually roasted a turkey breast the other night just so I could make these sandwiches. Sadly, my photos don't do it justice, but how do you photograph flavor anyhow??? This sandwich packs a heck of a lot of that!


INGREDIENTS:
Country White bread (a nice thick one if you can find it)
Fresh roasted turkey, sliced thin
Good Housekeeping Sweet Chipotle Mustard
Hellmann's Mayonnaise
Salt & Pepper
Lettuce  (I prefer romaine or bibb but was trying to use up what we had)


I'm not big on toasted sandwiches (except of course a BLT), but if that's your thing, knock yourself out! We couldn't find the nice thick Country White, but that's OK too. It's all about the turkey, tomatoes, and chipotle. If you've got those, everything else is negotiable.  ;)


Slather one slice with Sweet Chipotle Mustard
and the other with Mayo seasoned with salt and pepper.




Pile on the turkey.




Here's the money shot!
Add the tomatoes / tomatillos / onion, and
a little of the cornbread doesn't hurt as well.
You might want to blot the cut side of the tomatoes
so you don't end up wearing it (drips).



 Top with lettuce (sadly mine is iceberg today).




Slap the top on and enjoy!

















By the way, when I roasted the turkey the other night, I cut my way under the skin and slathered it with this mustard before roasting. It didn't actually impart as much of the flavor as I was expecting, but we added some of the mustard to the gravy as well. That was killer!  Aside from the great flavor, it added a kick of heat to the gravy.

Sooooo, any ideas on what the heck I should call this thing? So far, I've just been referring to it as "The Other Thanksgiving Sandwich."

 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... it's got Turkey, it's got Tomatoes, and it's got a kick of heat from the mustard. Not bad! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...