Hye Thyme Cafe: Blogging by Mail 2011 - Handle with Care

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blogging by Mail 2011 - Handle with Care




When I first started this blog last fall, I came across a post about Blogging by Mail.  It sounded like a fun way to reach out and meet new bloggers, while scoring some presents in the process.  The only problem was that I couldn't find anything recent.  I set up a Google Alert for myself, so when Stephanie at Dispensing Happiness announced a new edition, I was all over it!

How it works is that she pairs up the bloggers, so that one sends a package to another, and it continues down the list.  You aren't necessarily sending goodies to the person you will be receiving from.  This year's theme was Handle with Care.  The premise was that we were to send a C.A.R.E. Package of "must have" items, be they kitchen goodies or otherwise.

Here's the list of this year's participants so you can check out their blogs and their posts on the exchange when they come out ...


I was paired up with Pages, Pucks & Pantry on the giving end, and The Knitting Baker on the receiving end.


Here are the goodies I received from The Knitting Baker.


I didn't realize how color-coordinated everything was until I uploaded this picture.  LOL  The yarn is a beautiful purple/green/white, but even the label is blue!

On the left is a letter explaining each item and how they bring comfort to her, while on the right is the recipe for one of her favorite comfort foods, Apple Oatmeal Crumble.  Each of the items did turn out to be of particular interest/meaning to me in a different way ...


  
I never had this problem growing up in Massachusetts, or when I lived in New Orleans, but for some reason, since moving here to New York, whenever I wash my hands, I immediately feel the need to apply lotion.  It must be the water in this area.  Anyhow, I ironically just finished the bottle of lotion I keep at my office, so this came just in time to serve as its replacement.  It's a thin lotion, but rubs in very nicely and has a lovely scent.
 
 
OK, are you singing/saying it in your head yet?  R-I-C-O-L-A  My brain automatically goes to the commercial for the cough drops. :)  I'm not sure if she picked this up from my blog or not, but I have been an insomniac since I was in the 6th or 7th grade, so anything that might help me drift off in the evening is a definite plus!  [cross your fingers]  
 

I had to laugh later.  I didn't notice right away, but she put a translation on the back of the tin for me ...  :)
 
 
 
 
Do I really need to say anything about the chocolate?  Isn't that on everyone's "must have" list?!?  My only decision here is whether to make something with it or just dive right in.  Hmmmm, maybe half and half.  We'll see ...




OK, now this one's kinda funny.   When I was a kid, my Mom was big into knitting.  Of course, she was great at everything back then - sewing, knitting, cooking, decorating, you name it!  I'm not sure if it's because I'm a lefty, so I was trying to learn backwards, or because I'm just a spaz and couldn't do it, but I could never keep my tension consistent, and it just didn't work.  I gave up!

About two weeks ago, we had company, and I was sitting out on the back deck talking to one of the ladies, and afghans came up in conversation somehow.  I think she was talking about having made them for her grandkids, so I was telling her about all the great winter hats, sweaters, afghans, etc. that Mom used to make for us.  I told her it has been so many years now, I really should give it another chance, and then what do I receive "magically" in the mail two weeks later!

 
How random/weird is that?!?


I had to laugh at this too.  First of all, I did a doubletake when I saw the pattern on the right.  At first glance, they kinda look like elf slippers or something.  I thought the cuff was the socks rolled down rather than the person's pants rolled up.  The other reason this was kinda funny is that one of the items I included in my C.A.R.E. Package to Mrs. L over at Pages, Pucks & Pantry was a pair of pink (her favorite color) fuzzy socks!  I love to throw them on when I go to bed in the winter.  They're nice and cuddly warm, but non-restrictive, so once you warm up, they just sort of slip off in your sleep.  I guess we're on the same wavelength - which is also kinda weird since it's summer!  :)




I can't wait to see everyone else's posts to see what they consider "must haves."

A big THANKS to Stephanie for putting this together and to The Knitting Baker for the goodies.  I can't promise I'll be successful, but I definitely promise to try the knitting again.  I still haven't decided that to do about the chocolate!  ;)




5 comments:

  1. looks like you got an awesome first time package! hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only nut up this late! I obviously haven't tried the tea yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun package-I should be putting my post up shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris what great surprises. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know you liked it!! Especially as it was your first time taking part :) Hope to keep in touch! Let me know, if the tea works for you! I might forgot to mention that the hand lotion is a Finnish brand, really like their stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...