Hye Thyme Cafe: Apricot-Prune Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, July 4, 2011

Apricot-Prune Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Apricot-Prune Sour Cream Coffee Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe
 
I don't know why people turn their noses up at prunes. They're really just dried plums - kinda like a ginormous raisin. My Mom used to always make this when I was a kid. I only made it once before, and that was a complete disaster! Not the case this time - phew! We had company last week, so I wanted to have something on hand for snacking, or for a breakfast bite if everyone started getting up in stages. It sure did the trick.


CAKE :
3/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 c sour cream
3 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
3/4 c each apricots/prunes

STREUSEL :
1/2 c light brown sugar
2 T butter, softened
2 T flour
1 t cinnamon

TOPPING :
2 T confectioner's sugar


Cream the butter and sugar well, then add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and sour cream.



Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then add to the butter mixture, a little at a time. Beat for 1".







Chop your fruit into pieces and stir into the batter. 




For the streusel, in a small bowl, use a fork to mash together the brown sugar, butter, flour, and cinnamon.








Spray a bundt pan with PAM Baking, then spoon in a layer of batter, top that with streusel, and repeat, ending with batter on top. Bake at 325 for 55-60", until toothpick comes out clean. 



Let it cool in the pan, then invert onto a serving platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. It was sooooo humid out the day I made it, I was afraid to add the sugar.



Apricot-Prune Sour Cream Coffee Cake : Hye Thyme Cafe


For anyone interested in my disastrous first attempt at making this, it was way back in the mid 80s, when I was in high school or college and spending my summers working at a friend's T-Shirt store on Cape Cod. One of the stores was in a courtyard at the end of Main Street in Hyannis, so I got to be friendly with the people in the other shops. There was one family in particular. The Mom and daughter had a clothing boutique across from us, and the son had an art/silk flower studio at the end of the row. The daughter, Raquel, is the one I got a killer pesto recipe from (sadly lost over the years). The brother, Bruce, was a fabulous artist! He was commissioned to make a huge silk flower arrangement as a birthday gift for Rose Kennedy once. I went with him to deliver it and got to peek in the house.

For some reason, Raquel came over my house one day to make this, and we immediately started off on the wrong foot. The butter was rock solid, so we decided to pop it in the oven for a minute while we were preheating ... it dripped and caught fire!! As if that wasn't bad enough, we had made sure to pick up apricots and prunes, but assumed we had everything else we would need at the house. Nope. We had to leave in the middle to go to the grocery store for something. When it finally came out of the oven, it weighed about 6,000 pounds. I knew without even cutting it that it had turned out awful, so I wanted nothing to do with it. She insisted on taking it home with her, so I joked about making her sign a release of liability in the event that anyone in her family died in their sleep that night from having eaten it.

The next day, I was at work and heard a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday coming from across the courtyard. My eyes bulged open at the thought that crossed my mind, and I bolted out the door ... just in time to see her brother blow out the candles on the cake, powdered sugar and all!! You would think between all the people in there at the time, it would have occurred to someone that wasn't a good idea. LOL  I guess it was a case of - since they never had it, they didn't have any particular expectation - because everyone thought it was just great. I stayed a good 10 feet away at all times.  ;)

     

12 comments:

  1. I actually really like prunes! They sound delicious in this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I think a lot of people associate them with the "elderly." I still remember my grandfather eating cereal in the morning with stewed prunes and apricots when I was little.

    I think next time I make this, I will keep the pieces a little bigger. I got carried away with my knife - musta been mad at someone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this coffee cake for the past 30 years for my family to have Christmas morning. My family says, "It wouldn't be Christmas without it." It freezes well and I dust the confectioners sugar on it just before serving. I have also made it and given it as gifts to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had tried it again sooner! Definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful, pinned to try with our Easter brunch this weekend!

    Found you via TULA!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, and have a wonderful Easter brunch!! :)

      Delete
  6. Your first line made me laugh because I was scrunching up my nose. Now I am scrolling back up to read and give the recipe a chance - hold on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, since I first had this as a kid, I'm assuming I tried it before I was told what was in it LOL.

      Delete
  7. Well when you put it that way it sounds delicious! The first story is funny too! Funny that everyone thought it was great.~TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they were all hungover from the night before and anything to absorb the alcohol was good enough LOL - it was summer on Cape Cod after all. ;)

      Delete
  8. Loved your stories here about this one Chris and seriously not sure why people don't like prunes either and have eaten them no problem either in the past, too!! TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the "old people" association LOL. I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother always stewed prunes and apricots for my grandfather to spoon over his cereal in the morning. That turned me off of prunes for several years. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...