Hye Thyme Cafe: Watermelon Pineapple Salsa

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, June 9, 2011

Watermelon Pineapple Salsa



I actually picked up a pineapple and watermelon the other day with beverages (mostly adult) in mind, but after having a Pineapple Spear for lunch yesterday, I just started chopping away and got to here. Do they even make "regular" watermelons anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't small and round. Not that I mind the seedless variety. I appreciate not having to spit, scoop, or cut out the seeds, but sometimes you need more that what comes out of these little rounds. Besides, the ovals made pretty fruit baskets.


INGREDIENTS:
1 pineapple 
watermelon
2-3 fresh jalapenos
small red onion
1 lime
Sriracha hot chili sauce 
sea salt
mint leaves


Dice the pineapple and watermelon (about the same amount as the pineapple) into small pieces (kinda like hash browns).

Dice and add the onion and jalapeno, being careful to remove the seeds and pith from the jalapeno if you have a low tolerance for hot stuff.

Give it a sprinkle of sea salt and then let it sit for a few minutes. The pineapple and melon will give off a lot of juice initially. You will want to pour that off so you don't end up with a bowl of mush (or try lining the bottom of the bowl with a steamer basket to keep the salsa elevated).

Once you have drained off the extra juice, you can squeeze the lime over the top, add a few shakes of Sriracha if you like it hot hot hot, and sprinkle with ribbons of fresh mint or cilantro.

I served up a small bowl with whole-grain tortilla scoops and a few cored cucumber pieces. The cukes were just for "show" so to speak. I wanted to get the idea across for a potential appetizer option but only had some tiny pickling cukes. They're not really big enough to fit much in, but if you use a larger cuke, try cutting rings about 1/2" wide then scooping out most of the center and filling with salsa. I think I might try it over yogurt tomorrow.  :)












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...