Hye Thyme Cafe: Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing : Hye Thyme Cafe

Aside from being so delicious, this simple salad makes such a beautiful presentation, people ask for it wherever I go. My Mom has been making it for years, so I have no idea where it originated. I could have added some mozzarella and toasted pine nuts, or some arugula or something to make it "my own," but we love it so much as it is, I never bothered. If I ever find out where it originated, I'd be happy to to give thanks and refer everyone there in hopes of finding other gems, but for now, we'll have to content ourselves with this beauty.

When I first moved to NY and started sharing meals with my sister and her family, we would serve salads before the main dish, but her sons would scarf down so much of this salad, they wouldn't want their dinner, so we had to stop doing that. It's one of a handful of things her boys always ask for, so you know it's good. Young people looking for something healthy, especially boys, is always very heart warming.  :)


INGREDIENTS:
Romaine lettuce
Strawberries
Red Onion

DRESSING:
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c milk
2 T lemon juice
2 T poppy seeds

You can make this salad in a bowl, of course, but it looks so pretty on a platter if you have one handy, I always try to serve it that way. I'll wash and tear the lettuce, slice the berries and onions, then layer them in the platter; a layer of lettuce topped with some of the onion and berries, then repeat, so all of the strawberries aren't just on top.

For the dressing, just whisk everything together. Depending on how many servings of salad I'm putting together, there is usually more dressing than I need, so I'll pour about half over the salad and have the container handy in case anyone wants more. You just don't want it to get soggy.


Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing : Hye Thyme Cafe

8 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! Strawberries - check - wrong kinda lettuce - check - everything else - gotta get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like romaine?? I love the crunch, but I am guilty of wasting a lot of the really dark green outer leaves. I try to find batches that are thinner/lighter in color. That usually means the pre-packaged ones rather than loose.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I have a spinach salad recipe that always earns me compliments- I use sugar and balsamic vinegar in the dressing. Thanks for the "add in" suggestions! TALU ;) and off to check out the avocado sandwich recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite spinach salad was one I grew up eating at The Magic Pan Crepes Shop. They made an awesome strawberry salad with toasted sliced almonds and mandarin oranges. Mmmmmmmmmm

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love strawberries and this looks delicious Chris. Thanks for sharing and always love getting a new recipe to try from you!! TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'll change up the dressing a bit by replacing the mayo with yogurt or the sugar with agave nectar or something, but I do prefer it this way - I could easily eat just this as a meal!

      Delete
  4. MmM that does look super delicious. And luckily, it seems that we're getting good strawberries all year round (which hasn't always been the case). I'll have to try it! Thanks so much. I saw in a comment that you'd change the dressing - is it just as good with agave nectar? Or with yogurt? Curious as I really need light versions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you had it first with the yogurt and agave nectar (or honey), you would probably love it, but I was eating it for so long with the mayo/sugar version before I tried it, I definitely noticed the difference. That's not to say I didn't like it - it just wasn't what my brain was expecting from past experience.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...