Hye Thyme Cafe: Pumpkin Butterfinger Ice Cream Pie

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pumpkin Butterfinger Ice Cream Pie



A couple of days ago, I was on Twitter and noticed a post by Nestle Kitchens indicating a pie contest they have going on. I thought OK, I'm game, and decided to throw my hat pie into the ring. You were required to use at least one Nestle product, but that's not much of a challenge, so I decided to use several.

When I looked at the list of possible ingredients and saw Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin, it occurred to me that the odds were fairly slim that people would be submitting pumpkin recipes this time of year. Once I made that decision, the rest was easy. Since it is summer, I wanted to make it an ice cream pie, and since pumpkin, chocolate, peanut butter, and cinnamon all get along so well together, I decided to also incorporate those flavors by using Butterfinger candy bars, a chocolate cookie crust, and a chocolate milk whipped cream topping.


INGREDIENTS :
1 sleeve of Nabisco Famous Chocolate Ice Box Cookies
1 pint Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
1 pint Haagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
1/2 can Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 heaping T cinnamon
3-4 Butterfinger candy bars
1 c whipping cream
2 T Nesquik (chocolate flavored)
chocolate syrup




Start by setting your ice cream out to thaw to a spreadable/pourable consistency.

Stir the cinnamon into the half can of pumpkin and set it in the fridge to chill. You want it to stiffen up a bit so when you mix it in with the ice cream, it doesn't completely blend in. You want it to sort of ribbon through the pie.



Run the cookies through your food processor. Don't worry about any big pieces that remain. They'll soften up and blend in once the ice cream is poured.



Thinking back on it, I will probably do it differently next time, but what I did was spread half of the cookie crumbs into the bottom of a 10" pie plate, then stirred a little of the dulce de leche into the remaining crumbs to make them sticky enough for me to press them around the edges of the plate. It has since occurred to me that I could probably have achieved the same effect by lightly spraying the pie plate with Pam Baking, or even misting it with a water bottle.





Pour the dulce de leche into the cookie crust and place in the freezer to set.



While that is setting, go ahead and chop your candy bars into bite-sized pieces, retaining about a quarter of one bar for later.




Stir the candy pieces into the vanilla bean ice cream. Resist urge to grab spoon and dig in right now...


 

Unearth the pumpkin/cinnamon mixture from the fridge and gently fold it in with the cookies and ice cream, remembering that you don't want it to completely blend in. Pour the whole thing into the pie plate over the dulce de leche layer and return to the freezer to set.



If you want your whipped topping to be soft, you can wait until you plan to serve the pie to do that. If you want to top and freeze the whole pie, go ahead and whip the cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the Nesquik and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.  



In my mind's eye, I had envisioned a big mound of chocolate whipped cream on top of my pie, but in reality, when I added the chocolate milk powder, the cream sort of sucked it all in and condensed, so I just spread it over the top. I thought I might be able to get away with the porcupine technique, where you tap the cream with the bottom of a spoon and pull up so it forms a spiked surface like a sea urchin or porcupine. That didn't want to work either.  



No problem!  Break out that remaining piece of Butterfinger and grate it over the top.



When you're ready to serve, be sure to let it thaw for a few minutes, then serve up a big slice and top with chocolate syrup.




5 comments:

  1. My, my, my and I thought my Butterfinger ice cream was the greatest thing I had in a long time. You surely have that beat. Amazing recipe. Sure wish I had some right NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this left me speechless, drooling and stareing at the pictures, I love everything about this recipe ! Have a great 4th and thanks for stopping by~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a pie with Butterfingers? You are so my new best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. L, you'll have to make your own. Like they say ... nobody lays a finger on MY Butterfinger! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...