Hye Thyme Cafe: Pineapple Spears

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pineapple Spears


I first had this on vacation when I was a kid. We had brunch at the hotel we were staying at and were served this at the end. It was so simple, yet pretty and delicious, that it really stuck with me. It has since turned into my Oh crap, I ... 
  1. Forgot I need to bring a dessert
  2. Burned dessert and don't have time to re-do it
  3. Need something last-minute
... stand-by dessert. Actually, today it was my lunch, but it has definitely saved me on a few occasions. I remember one year, I was planning to bring Lemon Meringue Pies to a cousin's house for Easter, but I wasn't happy with my meringues, so I bolted into the grocery store on the way to her house and grabbed a few pineapples, strawberries, and a bag of coconut. That's all I needed, and everyone loved it - something tasty and light for dessert after a big meal.


INGREDIENTS :
1 pineapple
Fresh or frozen strawberries
Shredded sweetened coconut
Lime zest for garnish (optional)


Usually, I will cut the pineapple into 1/8 sections, but since it was my lunch, I just quartered it.  Slice the pineapple spear like you would a melon spear - slice along the rind, then down to create segments. If I'm using 1/8 sections, I cut it into chunks, but I chose to make thin slices today.  

You can either spoon thawed frozen strawberries (or raspberries) over the top, then srpinkle with coconut, or slice and macerate some fresh berries.  Sometimes I'll slide the berry slices between the pineapple slices.

I had a few limes handy today, so I decided to top mine with a little lime zest. Well, that was my lunch. What did everyone else have today???






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...