Hye Thyme Cafe: Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, June 13, 2011

Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls

Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe


I actually got distracted and made these by mistake the other day. How does one get distracted into baking something, you ask ... I have no idea!! I knew I was going to be baking a few trays of Paklava over the weekend and would have extra phyllo, so I was planning to try something with the Peanut Butter and Nutella using phyllo, but instead, I made a yeast dough. What can I say?  

This is one of those instances where I'm glad to be easily distracted, because they turned out great! I brought most of them to work the next day, and they disappeared in short order. As a matter of fact, one of my co-workers stopped by earlier today to let me know that she had brought one home for her son and he went crazy over it. I love to hear that!

I'm all about trial and error. I'm not educated enough in matters of the kitchen to know the science behind much of what I do, so I don't know if it would make a difference to this recipe if you used milk rather than cream. I'm not a milk drinker myself, and I was the only one home last week, so all I had in the fridge to work with was heavy cream. If you know enough about the impact of milk fat in bread dough, knock yourself out if you want to use something lighter. Just wanted to let you know that was the only reason I used heavy cream.

INGREDIENTS:
1 t sugar
1 T yeast
3/4 c heavy cream
6 T sugar
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 lg egg yolk
2 2/3 c flour
5 T butter
peanut butter
Nutella
cooking spray
1 egg / sanding sugar - for brushing on top (optional)


In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the 1t sugar with the yeast, then warm your cream (or milk), pour it over the sugar/yeast and let that sit for about 5" or so until the yeast gets nice and foamy. I zapped the cream in a measuring cup in the microwave for about 20 seconds. You want it to be warm to the touch, but definitely not hot, or you will kill the yeast.

Add the sugar, vanilla, salt, and yolk, then you can start mixing in your flour and butter, alternating between the two. I used the bread hook and let the mixer run for about 10" to knead the dough well.

Remove the ball of dough from the mixing bowl, give the bowl a shot of cooking spray or a light coating of oil, roll the ball around to coat it, then cover with waxed paper and a dish towel and toss it in the oven or someplace else away from any draft to rise until doubled in size (about an hour and a half).

Punch the dough down and knead it once or twice. I ended up getting a dozen rolls out of this recipe, so if you prefer, you can just go ahead and divide the dough in half and keep doing that until you have 12 portions. I just pulled off about a golf ball sized pinch of dough for each as I went along. For that matter, you could just roll it out and make a loaf (or two).

Spray or grease your muffin cups.

On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a rectangle, then spread nutella on one half and peanut butter on the other. Starting with the nutella side, roll it into a tube. Taking one end in each hand, twist the tube. When it gets tight from being twisted, the whole thing will sort of twist itself into a knot. When it does that, stuff the ends into a muffin cup. No need to pinch any seams or ends. It will seal itself. 





Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe


Put them back in their cave to rise for another half hour or so.

Once I got to this point, I was debating what I should do about the tops - brush with melted butter, cream, an egg wash, etc. I opted for the egg wash and a slight sprinkling of coarse sanding sugar. I think next time, I might drizzle a wee bit of a glaze over the tops when they come out instead.

I had no idea how long I should bake them, but going by the smell and color, 25" in my oven at 350 turned out to be just right.

Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe

Peanut Butter and Nutella Yeast Rolls : Hye Thyme Cafe



I don't know why, but I love eating things like this that you can pull apart, peel, unwind, etc. Mmm, look at those layers!!  :)




The first two pics show the rolls on some disposable palm leaf plates I received as a sample from Marx Foods. They are actually really cool. You should definitely follow the link to read about them. As soon as I give them a "true test" by using them with something less forgiving than a yeast roll, I'll let you know what I think.

The last pic was just on a napkin on my desk at work Friday morning. I was so happy looking at those yummy swirly layers that I couldn't help but take another picture!


21 comments:

  1. My God who doesn't like nutella with peanut butter oh wow. Love this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raquel, strangely, we enjoy it when we have it but don't think to use it often. My nephews used to eat it a lot, so when they were around, they would have it. When I told my sister I made these, she just rolled her eyes at me and laughed - she apparently had nutella filled crepes the day I made these. Funny how we seem to do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi chris, actually as soon as I read this recipe I made one for my son and he love it, the combination of nutella and peanutbutter was awesome and he asked me to make again for school snack =) thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you and Spryte when I made these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can say these are good. If the one who made this recipe is just a Michelin chef, I will definitely include this recipe in my site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, these look amazing! I love how they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks kinda like a pretzel on the outside and a cinnamon roll on the inside. These were a HUGE hit at my office.

      Delete
  7. You had me a Rolls.
    Anything bread related and my mouth immediately starts to water. Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too - that's why I don't bake breads more often! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look so good and I don't even like nutella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've really only had it a few times myself. My nephews go crazy for it though (in spurts). Every once in a while I'll throw a jar in a Christmas stocking. ;)

      Delete
  10. These look like they would be good with cinnamon or with cheese and red gravy on the inside. Yummm...I will be trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I can get behind the cinnamon, but cheese and red gravy with peanut butter???

      Delete
  11. I didn't say to add peanut butter to the Italian version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, I got ya ... you mean instead of the PB and Nutella to fill the dough with either a cinnamon mixture or the cheese/gravy. Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking of a sweet cheese version, like for a danish or croissant.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I am actually making it right now! I've got the dough rising for the first time! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Yours look so yummy. My kids won't eat nutella or peanut butter, unfortunately. But they will eat anything that has cheese or a pizza flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew love Nutella, so I used to stick a jar in each of their X-Mass stockings as filler since they're older now, but I never really tried it myself until more recently. Just made Nutella Oatmeal Cookies the other day. Soooo good!!

      Delete
  13. Oh yeah, a blueberry or cherry with cream cheese combo would be delish, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I have some cherries in the fridge. Maybe if they're still viable, I'll try that tomorrow.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...