Hye Thyme Cafe: Grapenut Custard

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grapenut Custard

Grapenut Custard : Hye Thyme Cafe

I wish I could claim this recipe as one of my own, but it's not.  It's from the Scargo Cafe in Dennis, MA, on Cape Cod. One of my Mom's best friends growing up was my "Aunt" Marge. I think all of my parents' friends were aunties and uncles when I was little. Mom and Marge were even pregnant at the same time, so me and my "cousin" Marla were born exactly two weeks apart. Strangely, there is the possibility that if you follow our family trees back a few generations on my Armenian side, we might actually find we're related. I'm not quite sure about that yet.

Anyhow, one of Marge's favorite desserts was always Grapenut Custard. I'm not big into eggs, so the thought of a custard back then just grossed me out! Marge passed away while we were in college. Several years later, I was on the Cape during the summer and happened to stop at Scargo for lunch. When I saw the Grapenut Custard, it made me think of Marge, so I had to get it. I absolutely loved it! I had expected to just take a bite as a sort of toast to her memory and that would be it, but I ended up scarfing down the whole thing!
 
The other fantastic item on their menu is their sweet potato fries. I'm not a seafood person, so I usually end up going for lunch and getting one of their current sandwich offerings. I have never been disappointed, so do stop in if you get the chance. I understand their Chowder is fabulous too.

At some point while I was living in New Orleans, I was thinking about the custard and looked them up online. Lucky for me, they have the recipe posted on their website! Warm or cold, it's creamy and delicious ... and easy! The one thing I will say is that, in addition to using more vanilla and cinnamon than called for (that's pretty much a given with me), I kept forgetting to make a note on my recipe card to increase the amount of Grapenuts. I finally did that today; made the note that is. I didn't remember until I saw the end product, so it's pictured as written, but I would like a thicker bottom layer. You can see how it separates, so the Grapenuts sink to the bottom, while most of the cinnamon and nutmeg linger at the top.

INGREDIENTS :
9 lg eggs
1/2 gallon light cream
2 c sugar
2 T vanilla
1 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon


  1. Preheat oven to 325. 
  2.  Whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, and vanilla together, then pour into a 9x12" pan.
  3. Toss together the Grapenuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then sprinkle evenly over the custard mixture.
  4. Nest that pan inside a larger pan, then fill the larger pan with water to the height of the custard mixture, forming a "water bath."
  5.  Bake for about 90", until the center is set.  The whole thing will still be a little wiggly.

If, like was the case with me, your pans are close enough in size where you can't remove the smaller pan without sticking your potholders into scalding water, you can suck out the water with a turkey baster!

To serve, scoop into a bowl or glass and top with a dollop of whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar.






Grapenut Custard : Hye Thyme Cafe


Dang! I was thinking about how this would work with the Grapenuts Trail Mix Crunch - lighter crunch, almonds, raisins - but when I pulled up the Post site to get the link for the Grapenuts, it wasn't there. Hope they didn't stop making it! I'll have to see if I can find some and stock up if they did. I usually eat cereal dry like a snack, but I actually eat that one in a bowl with milk, like normal people!  LOL


12 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe and it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious Patti. Growing up in New England, we used to see either this or Indian Pudding on menus everywhere. Hmm, I don't think I've ever actually tried Indian Pudding. Maybe I should do that next. I didn't like this as a kid, so maybe I'd like that now too?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hubby's absolute favorite is Grapenut Custard and since it doesn't have too many ingredients, I think I'll try it for him. you are so right about Indian pudding and Grapenut custard, both are still served in many restaurants. hubby's other favorite thing is Grapenut Ice Cream! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love custard! I'll be running to the store to buy some grapenuts today! Have an awesome day Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. question...I think I missed a step, did you put some of the Grapenut mixture on the bottom of the pan as a crust too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds interesting! I don't remember ever seeing Grapenut Ice Cream. When we were kids though, I remember one of my cousins getting me to sprinkle them in a Frosty from Wendy's. That was good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecka, you just sprinkle them on top, and they settle to the bottom while baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love unique recipes, so I'll have to try this one out. Thanks!

    ~TULA~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it sure is beautiful. I love your instructions because wiggly would make me put it back in the oven ;-) And I like them best cold. That's weird because most things I like at least room temp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiggly is fine ... sloshing, not so much! ;)

      Delete
  10. I think it would be delicious warm, but I'm not adverse to trying it cold. :) TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always eat the first round warm, but leftovers cold.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...