Hye Thyme Cafe: Edamame Salad

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, June 25, 2011

Edamame Salad



I'll never forget the first time I ate edamame. It wasn't until somewhere around 2001. I was living in New Orleans at the time and went for lunch with a co-worker at a local Chinese restaurant. It was buffet style, so when I saw the edemame, I wanted to try it and added some to my plate. What I didn't know at the time was that the pods are NOT like a sugar snap. I made the mistake of popping the whole thing in my mouth and trying to chew it. When the girl I was eating with stopped laughing, she explained that I needed to pop the beans out of the pod.  

I liked them, and know they're good for you, so I added them to my regular rotation of snacking veggies. That's how I usually eat them, shelled or not - as a snack. Once in a while, they'll make an appearance as a side dish, but it never occurred to me to use them in a salad until I saw the Edamame Bean Salad posted on The Apron Archives the other day.

There aren't many beans that I like, so I didn't follow that particular recipe, but it made me want to try one of my own. I do like Northern Beans. They don't have that gritty texture that some other beans seem to, and they have an almost buttery flavor, so I opted to use those. For contrasting texture, I decided to include bean sprouts as well. Everyone really enjoyed it, so I'll definitely be making this again. It's super easy, and definitely a healthy dish.  


INGREDIENTS :
12 oz bag mukimame (shelled edemame)
8 oz bag fresh English peas
1 can Great Northern beans
1 can Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 small red onion
1 lime
Mung bean sprouts
Cilantro
Cumin
White balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt / Pepper


Both the mukimame and the peas had instructions for steaming them right in their bags in the microwave, so I cooked each for half the time recommended, tossed them together in a bowl and let them cool. 

While those are cooling, go ahead and rinse the chick peas and beans and set those aside to drain while you chop a handful of cilantro and thinly slice your onion.

Toss all of the above in the bowl along with a good amount of bean sprouts - I didn't measure, just poured in what looked like a balanced ratio, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, squeeze in the juice from one lime, and season with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.

FYI - I did end up adding more lime juice the next day, so you might want to have two on hand if you try this.

Not from a taste perspective, but just as a visual note, I think when I make it again, since the Northern Beans and Garbanzos are the same color, and the peas and mukimame are the same color, I think I'll throw in a little yellow or orange bell pepper for color.





6 comments:

  1. Edamame is one of my favorite things to snack on! This salad sounds super high protein and super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, you too! You "snack" on it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love edamame. It's makes a wonderful healthy addition to so many dishes. Your salad looks great.

    You might want to try my hummus made with edamame instead of garbanzo beans, http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/fabulously-healthy-edamame-spinach-and-garlic-hummus/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nancy, that does look good! Wonder if it would work in a pesto as well. Might have to try that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to try these beans! In a salad like this would be a great way to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you just haven't gotten around to trying them, but if you're nervous to try them because you don't think you'll like them, they have a mild flavor and a similar texture to a fresh pea. They have that same little snap and silky feel, not pasty or gritty like some beans.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...