Hye Thyme Cafe: Windsor Court Scones

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, May 9, 2011

Windsor Court Scones

Windsor Court Scones : Hye Thyme Cafe


I was first introduced to scones when I moved to New Orleans back in 93. I had certainly heard of scones, I had just never had one, so it never occurred to me to make them. In New Orleans, they're pretty much everywhere, and for some reason, almost always heart-shaped and with currants. They're in bakeries, coffee shops, luncheonettes, you name it.

Another thing I was introduced to when I moved to New Orleans was tea. Not the drink per se, but High Tea ... at Le Salon at the Windsor Court Hotel. That's one thing I definitely miss about living there! The first time I went, I wasn't a tea drinker but figured I'd go with it for the "true" experience. After reviewing the menu a bazillion times, I settled on Oolong. It was said to be the "champagne of teas," with a peach essence. Man, I loooved it! It was so good, I didn't even need to add cream and/or sugar! Now my problem is that I can't find one as good. There are several brands of Oolong, but that one was specifically a Formosa Oolong, so there is apparently some sort of difference, and I can't find that.  :(

They would first bring out your tea, followed by scones with clotted cream and jam, then there would be little tea sandwiches, followed by a serving of delicious pastries! This is probably a sexist thing to say, but I was always surprised by the number of men there. In addition to tables, they also had various seating areas with sofas and big comfy chairs, so it was also very common to see baby showers going on and that sort of thing.

When I left New Orleans and wanted to make scones, the first place I checked was online at the Windsor Court site. They did have a scone recipe posted (just checked-not there now), but unless it has something to do with their equipment and mass production, I don't think it's the same recipe. I do really like it though, so this is the one I tend to stick with. They usually put walnuts in theirs, but our family isn't big on nuts in baked goods, so I make some with mini chocolate chips for the guys and some with another add-in, usually dried cranberries, since we always have them on hand for snacking.  You can try any kind of dried fruit, nuts, citrus zest, chocolates, etc.


INGREDIENTS :
2 1/2 c flour
5 t double-acting baking powder
4 t plus 1 T sugar
2 lg eggs
1/8 t salt
3/4 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits
3/4 c heavy cream
1/3 c nuts or fruit  (I never measure, just judge visually)


CLOTTED CREAM :  (Think I found this in Taste of Home)
3 oz cream cheese
1 T confectioner's sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 - 1/3 c whipping cream

Sift flour, baking powder, 4t sugar, and salt. Add butter and blend until resembles a coarse meal. Stir in cream, eggs, and add-ins, just until dough comes together. Pat out to 1" thick on floured surface. Cut into rounds with 2" cutter and arrange on buttered baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash (1 egg + 1/3 c milk) and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake at 350 for 20".

NOTES:  I have always baked them on parchment, never a buttered tray. Sometimes I'll do the egg wash, sometimes just egg, sometimes I'll brush the tops with milk or cream. Just depends what I'm doing at the time, what's on hand, etc.  As for the sugar, I like to use the coarse sanding sugar on the tops rather than regular sugar. I think it's prettier that way.

I make the dough (sometimes in my mixer, sometimes not), and split it in half. I'll add chocolate chips to half and then chopped dried cranberries, apricots or whatever to the other half.










Windsor Court Scones : Hye Thyme Cafe




Windsor Court Scones : Hye Thyme Cafe


Windsor Court Scones : Hye Thyme Cafe
Windsor Court Scones : Hye Thyme Cafe


For the cream, just let the cream cheese come to room temp, then whip it with the cream, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla.  

Aside from the cream, raspberry jam is great with scones. Better yet, lemon curd!

3 comments:

  1. The scones look absolutely sinful! I MUST try your recipe...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones...I never make them since there is a great bakery close by that sells them, but they are always on my list of things I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should go for it! It's kinda like biscuits - super easy. Besides, if you make them yourself, you can put whatever you want in them. Since I tend to live like a vampire (up all night and avoid mornings like the plague), I'll sometimes make the dough the night before, then just throw them together when the crew starts to rise the next day - we're a household of insomniacs. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...