Hye Thyme Cafe: Review - Orville Redenbacher's Pop Up Bowl

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review - Orville Redenbacher's Pop Up Bowl



This is a completely unsolicited review. I just happen to have gotten a free sample, and since I have this blog, I felt compelled to post my thoughts.  

When it comes to popcorn in general, Orville Redenbacher's has always been my favorite, especially when you make it yourself on the stovetop. When it comes to microwave popcorn, I'll pick up a few different brands depending on the cost at the time where I'm shopping. My top two microwavable options are Orville Redenbacher's and Newman's Own.

I could (almost) eat one of those jumbo tubs of movie theater popcorn on my own. I think popcorn and watermelon are my two favorite foods, so if your hand ever comes near me when eating either, be prepared to leave with teeth marks. I'm not someone you want to share popcorn with at a movie.  ;)

So what did I think about Orville Redenbacher's Pop Up Bowl?


 Hmmm, doesn't feel like there's much in it.


I thought you weren't supposed to microwave plastics?


OK, where do I pull?  Got it!


I guess that's enough ... for just me!


Ha!  Looks like an old ice cream shop hat!  


Bottom line ... If it's about the same price as the regular bags where you shop, and you would normally pour it from the bag into a bowl and are trying to save on doing dishes, then go for it! If it's more expensive, I'd just stick with the bags. The popcorn was great, but the bowl concept was just ehhh.

I think the premise is that you won't have to stick your hand into the bag and get the oil and flavoring all over your arm when you get toward the bottom. If that's an issue for you, but you still don't want to pour it into a bowl, just do what I do. Once you have eaten what's on top, fold the bag down into itself.  I do the same thing with chips.  

I would also have to assume that the regular bags are more environmentally friendly given the plastic pull tab on the top and the expandable bottom.  It was a nice try, and something different, but they already have the big tubs - why not just make smaller ones too??

My other problem with this is if you have kids who may have seen a movie with an old ice cream shop where they wore hats like this - or old nurses' uniforms. The last thing you want is for your kid to eat the popcorn then stick the bag on their head!! I had to resist that impulse myself! OK, I confess, I did put it on (open-side-up) for chuckles. See!!!  Wear with caution!  ;)

6 comments:

  1. Too funny, I am trying to picture you with the bowl (I mean hat) on. I think you confirmed every thing I was thinking about this new "bowl." I can think of better things to spend my money on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I understand their wanting to try something new/different, but it's just kinda pointless to me in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the popcorn was ok but nothing like the original bags the bowl sucks very little popcorn and lots of un poped cournels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I can't say I had a lot of unpopped kernels. That may be something that varies with the microwave?? I liked the popcorn but haven't had the regular bags in a while to have noticed if there was a difference. We recently got a movie theater popcorn maker, so we haven't been microwaving as much. Even with the theater-style popper though, I much prefer stovetop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking it would be more bowl shaped, still a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The popcorn tastes like plastic and the house smelled like plastic aso. I'm sticking with stovetop and regular bags.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...