Hye Thyme Cafe: Amaretto Blondies with Pistachios, Cherries, and Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, May 27, 2011

Amaretto Blondies with Pistachios, Cherries, and Chips


I either need to use less alcohol [Stop laughing - that is a possibility!] or use a bigger pan next time. Although my tester came out clean when poked into several spots, this obviously could have used a few more minutes. That did not, however, detract from the deliciousness! I have a "thing" about baking bars in glass for some reason. Maybe I just think they'll be too anemic looking if they're more spread out in a sheet tray. You would think after facing this problem with a number of different recipes I would have at least started removing some of the batter to a ramekin or something and baking it separately as a "sample."

I just felt like trying something different and have had Amaretto on the brain lately. I was in a Big Lots the other day and picked up some snacks - including a bag of dried cherries and a bag of pistachios, so I decided to put them to work with the Amaretto. It's super easy to make (assuming you use the right size pan), and you don't even need a mixer or a bowl. Just start in a big pot and keep adding to it.


INGREDIENTS :
10 T butter  (1 stick + 2T)
2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c dark brown sugar
3 T Amaretto
3 eggs
2 2/3 c flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c chopped pistachios
1 c chopped dried cherries
1/2 c white chocolate chips
1/2 c milk chocolate chips

Melt the butter, then remove from heat, stir in brown sugar and let cool to room temp. This will give the sugar a chance to dissolve somewhat and let the butter cool so it won't cook your eggs when you add them.   

This would be a good time to chop your pistachios and cherries and to grease or spray your baking pan. A 9x12 would be good. I think we have just about every size and shape of glassware imaginable except 9x12! Hmmmm, my birthday is in July ...

Wait at least 5", then touch the bottom of the pan. If it is cool to the touch, go ahead and stir in your eggs until well blended, then the Amaretto.

Rather than measuring my dry ingredients into a separate bowl, I mix in one cup of the flour until it's well blended, then dump in the rest of the flour, add the remaining dry ingredients on top and just sort of whisk them together before stirring into the batter below. You want to save on doing extra dishes but don't want to end up with all of your baking powder and salt in one spot!

Once the dry ingredients have been incorporated, go ahead and stir in your other goodies.


Pour into your prepared pan and bake at 350 for 25-30" until golden. By the way, this smells awesome!!















See how wet it still is?!? That makes me mad. Maybe I need to switch from using toothpicks to spaghetti? I use spaghetti for tube pans, etc. where the toothpicks are too short to reach the center, but I wonder if the pasta would actually be better at detecting the moisture...



2 comments:

  1. I love baking with amaretto so I was super excited to come across this recipe! Can't wait to try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure you don't over-fill your pan like I did! :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...