Hye Thyme Cafe: Yuzu Glazed Snack Mix

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, April 17, 2011

Yuzu Glazed Snack Mix

Yuzu-Glazed Snack Mix : Hye Thyme Cafe


I have absolutely no idea what made me think to do this, but I'm glad I did. I was surprised how much everyone liked it. As a matter of fact, I'm someone who doesn't like to eat dinner on an evening I'll be going to a movie because I want to make sure I have room for popcorn. Well, last night, we went to a movie, and it was possibly the first time ever that I didn't get popcorn - I brought a bag of this snack mix instead. It is crunchy and slightly sweet (but not cloyingly so) with a flavor you can't quite articulate.

By the way, the movie we went to was Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal. He did a great job, but the movie was just kinda ehhh. Pretty much been there done (seen) that a million different ways. It was either that or the re-make of Arthur with Russell Brand. Has anyone seen that one yet? We opted for action over comedy last night, but I do still want to see Arthur.


INGREDIENTS
Cereal, pretzels, nuts, etc.
1 stick butter
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1 t Cajun Foreplay or other spicy rub
2 T Yuzu juice  


I picked up the corn and wheat chex with the intention of using those, but I found open boxes of rice and corn chex in the pantry, so I polished off what little there was of the rice chex, and I guess there was about a half box of the corn, then I just mixed in some of the wheat I had gotten. It probably amounted to the same thing - one average sized box (corn) and one small box (wheat). I used the whole can of peanuts, but only about half of the sunflower kernels. I was surprised that the Planters were actually cheaper than the store brand. 

Dump your snacks into a big bowl.



In a small pot over medium heat, whisk together your butter, sugars, spice rub and Yuzu. I was using salted peanuts, so I did not add any salt, but if your peanuts (or other snack items) are not salted, you might want to include a little. Let the mixture come to a boil and continue whisking for about a minute to thicken into a syrup. Remove from heat.



NOTE:  I doubt it makes a difference what you use for this particular recipe,  but  in the interest of full disclosure, the butter I used was Land O' Lakes Light. Land O' Lakes is my favorite butter, but it is usually more expensive than most, so when I find it at a good price, I stock up and freeze it. Well, the last time I did that, I saw Land O' Lakes, and the package wasn't blue (their unsalted), so my brain processed that as new packaging for the salted, and I bought I think six pounds. Needless to say, when I got home and realized it was their Light butter, which I had never seen before, I was not pleased. I was even less pleased when I used it and thought it was kinda gross. Not quite butter, not quite margarine, odd color when melted, etc. I'm trying to use it up in things you won't really notice it in.

Pour about 1/3 of the syrup over your snack mixture and toss to distribute, repeat, repeat again, then spread the mixture onto a baking sheet, either sprayed with cooking spray, or lined with parchment or waxed paper. I lined mine with waxed paper.  

Yuzu-Glazed Snack Mix : Hye Thyme Cafe


Bake the mixture at 250 for about a half hour to re-crisp and set the glaze. You want to give it a stir now and again so everything doesn't fuse together. You don't want to have to break it apart later. Mine were still a bit tacky after the 30", so I just turned off the oven and left the tray inside to finish drying.

Yuzu-Glazed Snack Mix : Hye Thyme Cafe


When I was tossing the glaze with the crunchies, I was thinking I might not have made enough glaze, but it turned out to be just right. You can see in this last picture how everything has a nice shine to it, but the holes aren't plugged up.  

Before I made it, I was thinking about throwing in some dried cranberries or raisins once the glaze set but nah, I'm diggin it just the way it is.

NOTE:  I typed this post a few days ago but hadn't published it yet. We had a crew of young folks at the house last night, and I'm happy to say it got a big thumbs up from everyone - even the picky eater.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Looking around on your site tonight. I wondered where you got the yuzu juice? This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Yuzu as a sample as part of a challenge, but since it's a citrus juice, I've been able to substitute orange juice in other recipes with no problem. Yuzu seems to be gaining in market presence now though, so you might find it at the grocery store.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...