Hye Thyme Cafe: Red Quinoa with Pineapple and Sunflower Kernels

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Red Quinoa with Pineapple and Sunflower Kernels

Red Quinoa with Pineapple and Sunflower Kernels : Hye Thyme Cafe


This is more the beginning of an idea than an actual recipe, but  I served this with Pineapple and Kabosu Marinated Pork Chops the other night, and we all really enjoyed it. There were so many other flavors going on (ginger, kabosu, chile peppers, etc.) I didn't want to introduce anything else to the mix, so I just added some of the pineapple we were already using, and some sunflower kernels I had leftover from a batch of snack mix and called it a day.

This was my first time trying the red quinoa. I think I actually prefer it over the regular; it has a milder flavor to it. Some brands of the white quinoa have a somewhat soapy taste, even some that don't require rinsing before use. The red would probably be really pretty as a salad with a bunch of different colored veggies - peppers, carrots, etc.

For 4 servings, bring one cup of quinoa to a boil in 2c chicken broth (or water), then turn to low and cover it until all of the liquid has absorbed (15-20"). Fluff with a fork before serving.



Red Quinoa with Pineapple and Sunflower Kernels : Hye Thyme Cafe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...