Hye Thyme Cafe: Easter Dinner 2011

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Dinner 2011

I'm exhausted tonight for some reason.   Too tired to post anything (brain drain), but I figured I'd at least share what we had for Easter Dinner yesterday. Tomorrow I'll post my Easter Bunny Baskets. I have fun when I get to do goofy stuff like this.  :)



We started off with some Crostini two ways - one had carmelized onion and bleu cheese (ewww). The other had tomatoes, basil, etc. Then there was the standard cheese and crackers...



We started a new tradition a few years back of having Braciole for Easter Dinner. There were a few with a mushroom filling and others with artichokes (that one's mine, all mine!)




Steamed asparagus and the extra tomatoes from the Crostini - tossed with a little salt, pepper, and white balsamic vinegar. Yummm!




I roasted a bulb of garlic in a foil pouch with a little olive oil and made garlic butter to go on the rolls and the mashed potatoes.




We had serious egg issues this year LOL. None of the colors would get vibrant enough, and everything was smudging. All I can think of was not enough vinegar?? Never had that problem before. I don't know about you guys, but coming from an Armenian household, we have egg wars after dinner every year. You each pick and egg and hold it in your fist. One person knocks the tip of theirs against someone else's and it keeps going around.  Whoever ends up with an intact egg (the sole survivor) is said to have good luck for the coming year.  :)



I was in charge of desserts this year. This is a Lemon Thyme Cake I came up with a while back, only instead of baking it in two layers and covering with fondant, I baked it into a bundt and served it with fresh whipped cream and berries.



One holiday request is ALWAYS cheesecake for the guys, so at the last minute, I decided to do the sunflower I had seen before. Would have worked better if we had mini chips. Think they all got used up in pancakes or something. Also would have come out better if I put the PEEPS on the right way! They should be facing in from what I've seen. Oh well. Someone had to leave early, so I dressed the desserts quickly. I was originally thinking I would make a Lemon Snap crust, but either I wasn't looking hard enough, or we're out of Lemon Snaps, so I couldn't decide between vanilla wafers and graham crackers. So what did I do??? A little of everything - vanilla wafers, graham crackers, coconut, lemon zest, orange zest, walnuts, brown sugar and butter. Turned out great!



These were the most fun to make, but again, rushing at the last minute to get dessert on the table before someone had to leave, I oopsed and forgot the jelly beans. Nobody knew the difference, so I guess it doesn't matter. This is the one I'll try to remember to post tomorrow.


In addition to being Easter, yesterday was also the 96th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, so when grace was said before dinner, I made sure we raised a glass to those who passed before us and acknowledged what they went through.

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter.  :)


5 comments:

  1. Looks like an absolutely delicious dinner! I've never heard of egg wars but I think I need to introduce this idea to my family...then maybe they'd get out their aggression on easter in a productive way rather than with the mass chaos that always ensues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - The egg thing was probably the brain child of an industrious Mom with a big family who was tired of cracking and peeling all those eggs. This way, she had a head start. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seemed to have a wonderful Easter! What a great array of food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did have a great day and hope that you did as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...