Hye Thyme Cafe: Chicken Chow Mein

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Friday, April 29, 2011

Chicken Chow Mein

Chicken Chow Mein : Hye Thyme Cafe

I know, poor plating choice for a photo op...light food on white rice on a white bowl.  What can I say? I have been craving this for a while now, but things turn on a dime in this house, so plans always change. Very glad to finally have a chance to satisfy this particular craving. For some reason, it's one of those things that when I suggest it, gets a lukewarm response, but when I make it, gets scarfed down and thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe it's visual. If you think about it, it looks kinda blah, but when you eat it, it tastes really good?? That's actually why I started adding in a little red pepper - just to break up the color scheme.

This is a super easy dish to make, especially if you cheat and start with a rotisserie chicken. I haven't done that yet (at least not with this dish). I threw a package of boneless, skinless chicken breast halves in a pot with some chicken broth and whatever herbs and veggies looked like they were almost to the point of no return, brought it to a boil, then turned it down to very low until cooked through. I think there was half an onion, a few scallions, some baby carrots, celery, dill, and thyme. I pulled out the chicken and strained the broth to use later for the sauce.


INGREDIENTS :
2c cooked chicken
cooked white rice
chow mein noodles
1 T oil  (I used canola today)
1 pkg celery
1 lg onion
1/2 red bell pepper
water chestnuts, drained
mung bean sprouts
3 T cornstarch
1/4 c water
10 oz chicken broth
1/4 c soy sauce  (I used low sodium)
crushed red pepper flakes 
black pepper

Start your rice, since that will take longer to cook than the chow mein. I used one cup for four servings. We finished the rice, but there is more chow mein, so adjust for however many people you're serving, and how much rice they're likely to want in relation to veggies.

Cut the celery, onion, and chicken into chunks, cutting the red pepper into a smaller dice since you're using less and it's really for color.



Stir the cornstarch into the water to dissolve. You can measure your soy sauce and broth into the same container if you want and just set it aside for the moment. 

Saute the celery, onion, and red pepper until they start to soften, about 5".  

Chicken Chow Mein : Hye Thyme Cafe


Add a few shakes of red pepper flakes if you like, and some black pepper (I wouldn't salt it because of the soy sauce), then add the sprouts, water chestnuts, and chicken. Give the cornstarch mixture another stir to make sure it didn't form any lumps, then pour all of the liquid over the veggies, stirring to coat.


Chicken Chow Mein : Hye Thyme Cafe


Bring it up to a boil just long enough to thicken the sauce and heat the chicken through.

To plate, mound rice in the center of your bowl/plate, then scoop the chicken/veggie mixture over the rice and top with chow mein noodles.


Chicken Chow Mein : Hye Thyme Cafe

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Stacey - I'm looking forward to the leftovers for tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That great recipe and that look so delicious, want to make it soon, thanks for share.

    farida
    kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Farida. I like this one very much, and it's easy to make, so that's good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great!! I love chicken chow mein and have been dying to make it. I think your pic looks great. In general, it's not a pretty dish and I love that you added a bit of red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Spryte! We had Steak Tips with Pilaf the other night and had Pilaf left over, so I finished the Chow Mein over Pilaf last night since we had finished off the white rice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been wanting a simple recipe thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is simple and delicious. Hope you enjoy! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...