Hye Thyme Cafe: Caramel White Chocolate Chip Rice Flour Cookies

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Caramel White Chocolate Chip Rice Flour Cookies


It occurred to me that I hadn't cooked in a few days - either there was a different cook in the kitchen, or we've been out, eating leftovers, etc. I figured I better come up with something bloggable, and since we haven't had homemade cookies in a while, I thought I'd start there. Hmm, what could I do that would be "different?" I made Mochi a few weeks ago and knew I probably wouldn't be doing that again for a while, so I had rice flour in the fridge I could use. 

I looked online to see what I could find about making cookies with rice flour. It seems like whenever someone uses a different type of flour, it's in combination with AP or another flour. I found one page where a woman made chocolate chip cookies with rice flour and they came out looking like fruit leather or something - spread out paper thin. I figured I would have an equally strange result but wanted to give it a shot anyhow. What can I say, I like a challenge.  ;)

I had recently been to Ollie's (kind of like an Odd Lots/Big Lots, Job Lots, etc.) and saw boxes of Jell-O Caramel Mousse. I had never heard of it before, and assumed since it was at Ollie's that it hadn't sold well. I picked up a few boxes thinking that some night I would mold some chocolate cups and fill them with the mousse. OK, so I now have one box of mousse to do that with. The other one went in my cookies!! 

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing in terms of ratios. I just winged it. Don't you love it when an experiment goes right?!?  :)


INGREDIENTS :
1 stick butter, room temp
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla

2 c glutinous rice flour
1 c old fashioned oats
3.1 oz pkg Jell-O Caramel Mousse

1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda 
1/2 t salt
white chocolate chips


Cream together the butter and sugars, then stir in the eggs and vanilla.




In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oats, mousse mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (Kinda weird - wasn't expecting the mousse to be grayish-purple.




In two or three additions, mix the dry ingredients into the wet, then stir in your chips. I never measure nuts or chips when baking. I just keep stirring in more until it looks like a good ratio.




Scoop onto parchment lined tray. Either our cookie scoop bit the dust, or it went into early retirement somewhere from lack of use, so I used a tablespoon sized measuring spoon to do my scooping.





Bake at 350 for 15". I let them cool on the tray for a minute or two before transferring them to a cooling rack. 



OK, so this is weird. I tried one and really liked it. I was also surprised that they kept a nice shape after what I had seen online. It was on the chewy side, which I like in a cookie.Wondering what's weird about that? When I finished baking them all, I had another one, and it was crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Hmmm, did I lose track of time on that last batch and kept them in longer, or did they crisp up as they sat out? Not sure. Still like them though!


After the movie, one of the peanut gallery passed through the kitchen and reached for the cookies. I warned him that they had gotten crispy because he's anti-crunch. He took one anyways and said they weren't crunchy. I had stored them in a zip-lock bag thinking I would bring them to the office on Monday. That piqued my curiosity, so I tried another one, and I'll be darned. So, riddle me this ... did they soften up again being stored in the plastic bag but would have stayed crisp if I had put them in a tin???

At the rate they're disappearing, they might not make it to work Monday after all. Another weird thing is that I looked up the Mousse but can't find it on any of the Jell-O product pages. Wonder if they ditched the mix and are only selling the ready-made now?? Maybe I should go back to Ollie's!!

2 comments:

  1. Now you just made me want to go to Ollie's, SOON! They do have some odd things there sometimes, I love finds like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should go back and pick up some more of that mousse if it's still there. Not sure if the product was pulled or it's not on their website for a different reason. I'm guessing why sell the powder when people will pay more for the pre-made mousse cups.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...