Hye Thyme Cafe: Teriyaki Steak

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Teriyaki Steak

Teriyaki Steak : Hye Thyme Cafe

Sooooooooooo good! I have used this sauce a few times in the past when grilling, but I'm terrible at grilling and just recently figured out what cut of beef I like and how to cook it so it comes out extremely tender and delicious. The trick is apparently strip steaks. I baked up a few strip steaks a couple of weeks ago that were awesome, but the next time I went to make steaks, they didn't have the strips. I can't remember what I picked up instead, but they weren't nearly as tender, so I was bummed.


INGREDIENTS :
Strip steaks
1/2 c soy sauce 
1 T light brown sugar
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T lemon juice
2 T honey
2 T olive oil
1 c beef broth


 

Trim any extra fat off the steaks, then put them in a Zip-Lock bag and give them two or three whacks on each side with a meat mallet.




Stir all of your marinade ingredients together in a small pot until the brown sugar is dissolved. Pour about 1/3 over the steaks, zip the bag shut and toss them in the fridge to marinate for a while. Just remember that when you're getting closer to dinner time, take the steaks out to let them come to room temp before cooking.



When you're ready to cook your steaks, either pat them dry or at least let them drip-dry so you don't end up steaming them. Sear them in a grill pan for 3" on each side, then finish them off in a 325 oven for 10-15".

While the steaks are in the oven, add a little Wondra or other thickener to the remaining sauce, bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently, until it reduces to a consistency you like.

To plate, slice the steaks, drizzle with some sauce, and sprinkle with some fresh snipped chives or scallion for garnish.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...