Hye Thyme Cafe: Steak Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, March 24, 2011

Steak Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette


I was in the grocery store the other day and noticed that they had some really cute tiny yellow tomatoes. That stuck in my head, so I decided we should have a dinner salad one night this week. Every once in a while, we'll do a Buffalo Chicken Salad or a Chicken Caesar Salad, but having made some really great baked steaks recently, I thought a nice Steak Salad was in order. Cilantro came to mind for some reason, so I thought I would pair it with some sort of Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette. When I was living on my own in New Orleans, I was good about making my own dressing out of whatever I had on hand, but living with a crowd means everyone has their favorite, so we usually have a bazillion bottles of dressing around, and I've gotten out of the habit.

Of course when I went back to get the tomatoes, they were all gone.  Typical!  


INGREDIENTS :
Cooked steak - sliced thin
Romaine lettuce
Mixed salad greens
Red bell pepper - thin strips
English cucumber - thin rings, halved
Shredded carrot
Radishes - sliced thin, halved
Grape tomatoes - halved lengthwise
Broccoli sprouts
Almond slivers - lightly toasted in a dry pan
Chopped fresh cilantro


Toss together your salad greens and veggies in a large bowl. Don't worry about the steak, almonds, or cilantro yet. Man, I don't know what my deal is with steak! When I baked a few recently, I checked them at 30" and they were well done (but extremely tender), so this time, I pulled out a few at 20" and left the rest in the oven. They were still all well done?!?! Just so long as they're tender and tasty.

Steak Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette : Hye Thyme Cafe


DRESSING :
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1/4 c white balsamic vinegar
1/2 c fresh cilantro leaves
2 t agave nectar (or honey)
1 T brown sugar
1/4 t sea salt
2 cloves garlic - smashed
1/2 - 3/4 c olive oil



Toss everything but the oil into your food processor and pulse to blend, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil through the feed tube while pulsing until it is emulsified and reaches your desired texture. I like it a little on the thin side for more of a punch from the other ingredients. Too much oil dulls that for me. The ratio of oil to vinegar is traditionally 3:1.


I would have tossed the dressing with the salad and then plated and garnished, but it was a split-decision between the vinaigrette and Bleu Cheese Dressing (ewwwwwwwww), so I plated first. Plate up some salad, then arrange the steak on top however you want. Mine was cut from two different steaks, so it doesn't look as pretty. I should have taken a pic of one of the other plates. Oh well. I thin sliced and spiral stacked the steak in the center.  I put the odd shaped extra pieces around the outside of mine, then drizzled with the vinaigrette.

Top with toasted almond slivers and fresh chopped cilantro.


Steak Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette : Hye Thyme Cafe


2 comments:

  1. great salad! and i'm loving the ingredients in the dressing. I bet this would be great with carne asada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet again, I forgot we had some little corn tortillas hiding in the freezer somewhere. I would have cut them into little strips and fried some up to go with it. :( Here's the trouble with multiple cooks in one house who don't plan ahead - we managed to double up on cilantro. Now I need to make a chutney or something with all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...