Hye Thyme Cafe: S'Mochis (Mochi with a Graham Ganache Filling)

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Sunday, March 6, 2011

S'Mochis (Mochi with a Graham Ganache Filling)


If you've been following along with me, you know that I made my first attempt at Mochi the other day, without much success. Turned out I was right, it was the flour. I still can't find the Mochiko flour, but I did stop by one of the local Asian markets and picked up a bag of Glutinous Rice Flour. What I used the first time was a Sweet Rice Flour, which was how the Mochiko was described.

When I first thought to make this version, I assumed it had been done a million times already, but in looking online, maybe not! I found a few instances where Mochi was sandwiched between graham crackers and chocolate in place of the marshmallows in s'mores, but not filled Mochi (Daifuku really - I think the shell is technically the Mochi, and the filled piece as a whole would be Daifuku) using chocolate and graham crackers inside. It seemed like a no-brainer to me, since Mochi is a marshmallow-like substance already.


FILLING :
6 oz heavy cream
6 oz good milk chocolate
1 sleeve graham crackers, crushed





MOCHI :
1 1/2 c glutinous rice flour
1 1/2 c super fine sugar
2/3 c warm water
1 t vanilla
cornstarch for dusting





For the filling, bring the cream just to a boil, being careful not to scorch it if you're doing it on the stove. Pour it over the chocolate and stir until smooth, then stir in the graham crumbs. It's totally fine, maybe even better, if there are some actual graham "pieces" in the mixture. Refrigerate to set.  



When you're ready to make your S'Mochis, you want to have the filling ready, so go ahead and roll it into small balls. If you have a small cookie scoop, that would probably work well. We don't have a small one, so I was going to use a tablespoon measuring spoon, but it just bent on me since my filling has been in the fridge for a few days. I ended up just scooping some out with a regular tablespoon and rolling it into a ball. I lined them up on a piece of waxed paper for easy clean-up later.

Once those were in place, I went ahead and switched gears to make the Mochi. I have been looking for a while now, but can't find super fine sugar in my area, so I ran some regular sugar through the food processor. I don't know how much of a difference it made either way, but I did it anyhow.

Almost every recipe I looked at called for microwaving the Mochi in a shallow dish of some sort. Since we have an 11" pie plate, I opted to use that. Stir together the rice flour, sugar, warm water, and vanilla until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap (leaving a steam vent), and microwave for 3". Stir, then re-cover and microwave for another 2". THAT resulted in the shiny ball of dough I was hoping for the other day. Yay!


Also different from what I did the other night was that I formed the Mochi right in my hand. For my first attempt, I had coated my work surface with corn starch (most of the recipes I looked at called for potato or tapioca starch), patted out the Mochi, used a round cookie cutter to make discs and filled them with raspberry sorbet. It was much easier this way! I wore a pair of gloves, which made it easier to handle the Mochi since it was hot (I'm not always big on patience - wanna get right to it).  

I picked up a pinch of cornstarch and rubbed it over my gloved hands, then pinched off a blob of the Mochi and flattened it my palm, then stretched it out like a little piece of pizza dough. With the Mochi in one hand, I placed a ball of the ganache in the center and used the other hand to pinch the Mochi around it, then rolled it between my palms to sort of smooth it out. I think it made 20 in all. Sweet, smooshy little balls of fun.






























6 comments:

  1. I love mochi dishes! We like to do a peanut butter filling, but the ganache sounds delicious. I will definitely try it.

    We also do a dish called jin dui which is a deep fried mochi and use the same glutionous rice flour in the green bag, which I get from my local Chinatown.

    Great site. I will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the jin dui sounds awesome!! I was thinking about doing a second batch with some sort of peanut butter filling but held off. Just as well!! I was going to bring them all to the office today, but we got about 3 feet of snow last night, so it looks like I'll be working from home!! Uh oh ... that could be dangerous, leaving me with a whole plate of S'Mochis!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore mochi...!! I've never had it with such filling, but I think I would love it too since I like chocolate :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you used to the ice cream ones, or a paste filling? I tried a few of the paste versions but didn't like them. Picked them up at an Asian market when we were doing Sushi night at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with the Chocolate Giveaway! In case you don't win :( you can check them out here: http://www.enjouchocolat.com/chocolate-assortments/signature-collection/enjou-s-mores.html Or browse our website to see all the products that we have, looking forward to working with you in some capacity. We have over 50,000 molds, baking chocolate, vegan & sugar free options!

    -Best, Jon Dugan
    Enjou Chocolat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Kinda funny since it involves your s'mores and you posted this on my s'mochi page. :)

    That just points out that I must need to add a "contact me" page or link somewhere. Thanks!!

    Must admit I had never heard of your company before seeing that post on the BlogRoll, so I will definitely have to check out the link you provided!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...