Hye Thyme Cafe: Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, March 28, 2011

Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

I would like to thank Cathy over at The Dutch Baker's Daughter, not only for being one of the people who encouraged me to dip my toes into the Blogosphere, but also for bestowing upon me my first blogging award.
THANKS CATHY!!  :)







As conditions to accepting this award, I have been charged with the following tasks: 
  1. Thank the person who presented the award, and link to their blog in this post.
  2. Copy and paste the award image.
  3. Share seven things about yourself.
  4. Pass on the award to 15 other bloggers, and let them know that they have received the award.


Seven things about myself huh?  Hmmm, let's see ...
  1. Although I do talk a LOT about being Armenian, I am also French and Irish (Thanks Dad).
  2. I'm a "horror" freak - books, movies, etc.  Love em!!
  3. When I was a kid, people used to think I would be either an actress or an opera singer.  LOL  As it turned out, most of my work history has been as a Legal Secretary. 
  4. Some people prefer one or the other, but I like to cook and bake equally.  I'm an equal opportunity kitchen messer upper.
  5. I collect antique hair combs and goofy keychains (toys, tools, etc.).
  6. I love digging through antique shops in search of cool kitchen gadgets.
  7. If I ever win the lottery, I plan to immediately move back to Cape Cod and build a mid-sized house on the beach with a huge kitchen overlooking the ocean, and an indoor swimming pool. 

As for the bloggers I would like to share this award with, Cathy threw kind of a monkey wrench at me since we have so many blogs in common, and I have many in common with others she nominated, so in the interest of not double-dipping, I focused more on blogs I have tagged the most recipes from for future reference, in hopes that Cathy's other nominees cover the rest of our "Beeps."    :)
  1. Pam at Cave Cibum - not only for introducing me to one of my new favorite cookies and inspiring me to finally make my own String Cheese, but she's also Armenian and from the Boston area.  I think that makes us foodie twins.
  2. Robyn at The Armenian Kitchen for introducing me to Armenian recipes that never popped up in my house before.
  3. Denise at We Like to Cook for embracing my little venture in blogging here and on Facebook.  And because she also is apparently into vintage torture implements ... I mean kitchen gadgets.
  4. Adelina at My Tasty Handbook for her obvious love of lentils. 
  5. Mari at Once Upon a Plate.  I think I first came across her page when I saw her Peppermint Bark Snowflakes somewhere.  Her photos are beautiful!
  6. Megan at Delicious Dishings for keeping me up on what's going on in Boston, and for her Pretzel Rolls.  I can't wait to try those!!
  7. Cherine at Chicho's Kitchen who is Lebanese, so it is interesting for me to see so many of her recipes that are variations of what I grew up with on my Armenian side of the family.
  8. Shawnda at Confections of a Foodie Bride for making me want to kick myself for never having thought of making a Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie.  That's definitely on my "to try" list!!  And check out her about page!  She has the cutest baby chef ever!!
  9. SnoWhite at Finding Joy in My Kitchen for being the only other person I know who makes Kentucky Hot Browns.  Hey, we just had turkey tonight for dinner.  Maybe we'll make those tomorrow with the leftovers!!
  10. Joanne at Eats Well with Others, she of the mis-matched socks who would dare to make something like Homemade Ginger Pasta with Sweet Potato-Wasabi Sauce!!  Yikes!
  11. Zerrin at Give Recipe who welcomed me with open arms to the blogging community, despite our historical differences (Turkish/Armenian).  Aside from posting recipes, I also like that she posts random links and photos she thinks might interest her followers.  Much like with Cherine's Lebanese recipes, I love to see Zerrin's Turkish versions of recipes I grew up eating with an Armenian twist.
  12. Emily at A Plum By Any Other Name if for no other reason than her sense of humor - just read the titles of some of her posts.  Sounds like a fun chick from Southie.
  13. Danielle at The Growing Foodie for being so accomplished as a 20 something, working, cooking, blogging, and participating in regional and national food competitions.  Busy girl!
  14. Jenny at Jenny Mac's Lip Smack for her Jalapeno Cheese Bread, among other things. 
  15. Amanda at Amanda's Cookin' for opening my mind to things like using cantaloupe as an ingredient ... not just in fruit salads!
Thanks to all you ladies for the inspiration you provide and to Cathy for giving me a shove in the right direction.  :)


 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for "sharing the love of cooking and blogging!" I have been so impressed with all the fellow food bloggers that I have "met" especially you, Chris! Congrats on your award and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you threw your hat in the ring (or spoon in the pot) and started your blog. You are an amazing cook...and baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me on this awesome list!! You are so sweet. I love #4. I'm right there with you -- equal opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cathy! It definitely helps having willing victims (I mean happy eaters). When I lived alone in New Orleans, I hated cooking just for myself. Couldn't be bothered coming home after work and then cooking just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ SnoWhite - Does this mean we should re-name it the Sisterhood of the Kitchen Messer Uppers?? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...