Hye Thyme Cafe: Slow Cooker Pork Ribs and Rosemary Butternut Mashed Potatoes

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Slow Cooker Pork Ribs and Rosemary Butternut Mashed Potatoes


I had nothing planned ahead for dinner tonight, I was going to be making cake and/or fondant to play around with tomorrow, but I knew there were some pork ribs in the freezer that needed to be used up soon, so I figured what the heck. We also still had two butternut squash bulbs in the fridge after using the necks to make chips recently, so I wanted to use those somehow as well.

Undecided about what to do, but not wanting to wait all day for the ribs to thaw, and not wanting to nuke them to defrost them, I decided to toss them in the crock pot with a can of Delmonte Zesty Jalapeno Diced Tomatoes on low. By the time the ribs were tender, the cakes were out of the oven, so I pulled the ribs out of the sauce, sprinkled them with pepper and smoked salt, and tossed them in the oven to brown while turning up the crock pot to thicken the tomato base and drippings for a sauce. Truth be told, the ribs were very tender and juicy, but flavor wise, they were just eh. Nothing to write home about. I was trying to think of what else to do with them, but I was baking with thyme and making the mash with rosemary - didn't want BBQ, and figured there was enough heat, etc. in the tomatoes. Definitely edible, but I won't go looking for them.

While I was tending to my cakes, my sister nuked the squash. I boiled a few small potatoes then mashed the squash into the potatoes with just a splash of milk, about 1T of butter, and some rosemary. Delish! If you've got kids who don't like squash but you want them to eat it, just switch up the ratio so you've got more potato.

























For dessert, I had baked a "sample" of my Lemon-Thyme Cake in a ramekin along with the two rounds. I totally forgot to butter/spray the ramekin, so I grabbed a big spoon, scooped out the batter and gave the ramekin a shot of spray without wiping it out, so it looks like hell, but let me tell ya, that's an awesome cake...and no, it didn't stick!!! Hopefully my fondant (1st attempt) will turn out OK tomorrow to do it justice! Love the little flecks of thyme.




Tune in tomorrow to laugh at see how my first attempt at fondant turned out ...


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on being chosen a featured blogger by Foodie Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! As a fellow Armenian it's always nice to see our culture being shared with people across the world! Stop by my blog when you can!

    www.sacramento-blog-uncut.blogspot.com

    Before I forget, congrats on foodie blog roll recognizing your site. I have been waiting for two years now! Hopefully someday they will give me a shot!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...