Hye Thyme Cafe: Peanut Butter and Banana Bars

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Peanut Butter and Banana Bars

Peanut Butter and Banana Bars : Hye Thyme Cafe

How is it that we always end up with over-ripe bananas? There are just so many bananas you can freeze, banana bread you can make, banana pancakes, muffins, etc. I wanted to try something different for a change, so I came up with these Peanut Butter and Banana Bars. Mind you, I've still got a few bananas to do something with, so I'll have to look for some new ideas today. In the meantime ...


INGREDIENTS :
3 very ripe bananas
1/4 c canola oil
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c Jif Peanut Butter
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 c chocolate chips

Mash your bananas. If I'll be adding them directly to the wet ingredients, I do it right in the bowl with a fork, pastry blender, or potato masher. If I need to do something else with the wet ingredients first, I'll mash them on a piece of waxed paper so I can slide them right into the bowl without having to wash another dish or bowl. Once they're mashed, add the oil, eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar, then stir in the peanut butter. I realized too late that we somehow ended up with two open bags of dark brown sugar and no light, so I had to use dark today. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients with a fork, then pour the banana mixture over it and stir everything to combine - making sure to scrape along the bottom so you don't miss any flour.


Once everything is pretty well mixed, go ahead and stir in your chips. I like to use minis for baking. Well, except for cookies. I still like the big ones for cookies ... and LOTS of them! For breads, muffins, etc., I like the minis. I used half and half today. Half chocolate and half peanut butter. I had forgotten that I picked up a bag of peanut butter chips around the holidays.

Pour everything into your prepared pan which, if you're me, means a 9x12 sprayed with Baking Pam.  Bake at 375 for 20-25", until golden brown and toothpick tests clean.


Peanut Butter and Banana Bars : Hye Thyme CafePeanut Butter and Banana Bars : Hye Thyme Cafe 
Peanut Butter and Banana Bars : Hye Thyme Cafe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...