Hye Thyme Cafe: Beef Jerky

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, February 14, 2011

Beef Jerky

Beef Jerky : Hye Thyme Cafe

When faced with a 2.03 lb package of Chuck Tenderloins and only two people home to eat them, what do you do? You could freeze some, but what fun is that?!? I decided to make Beef Jerky instead. It smelled so good and took so long, the poor dog was going crazy. Since she's a chihuahua and only stands about 5 inches off the ground, I was afraid she was going to strain something trying to get her nose up to the oven whenever she came out to the kitchen to see how it was progressing.

Forgetting the Jerky for the moment, I think I'm going to have to start using this marinade on everything. It really did smell awesome! Wish I had kept the excess to cook down and make a dipping sauce for the Jerky. Live and learn as they say. The Jerky is plenty flavorful without needing any kind of dip - it's just that the marinade was that good!

INGREDIENTS :
1.5 lb Chuck Tenderloin
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c teriyaki sauce/marinade
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1 T liquid smoke
1 T rice vinegar
1 heaping T jarred minced 
   garlic with red peppers
1/2 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper
1 t chopped dry onion
1/2 t smoky paprika
1/4 t cayenne pepper


In a small bowl (or large measuring cup), combine all of your marinade ingredients.  I nuked it for a minute to sort of start everything blending together, then let it cool while I moved on to slice the beef.

Trim any fat off the edges, then slice the beef lengthwise (across the grain) into strips about 1/4" thick. If you don't have a super sharp knife, you can freeze the beef for 10" or so to make it easier. I think next time, I'll slice it on a diagonal so I get strips that are just as thin but bigger.




When your marinade is cool, pour it into a ziplock, add the beef, and squish it around to make sure it all gets coated; chill overnight. If using a ziplock, it's always a good idea to set the bag into a bowl or something in the event of a "wardrobe malfunction." If the zipper breaks, you don't want to clean up a shelf full of marinade.



Preheat your oven to 200, and lay a cooling rack over a baking sheet. I lined my baking sheet with foil to catch any drippings - also because I had a bottle of smoke pellets I had never used in the grill over the summer, so I wanted to toss some in to see if they would work in this application - not so much, but it wasn't necessary anyhow.

Line a cutting board or plate with paper towels and transfer the meat from your ziplock to the paper towels to blot dry, then lay them over the cooling rack. Bake for 4-5 hours (flipping once), then turn off the heat and leave them in the oven until it cools. In reading some recipes before I got started, I left mine in for 5 hours. Had I gone back in the kitchen sooner, I would have turned the oven off a little earlier, but that's just my preference. The Peanut Gallery likes them just the way they are.  :)


Beef Jerky : Hye Thyme Cafe

Beef Jerky : Hye Thyme Cafe

3 comments:

  1. I think my family would love this. I would love to try this, I will have to speak to my BIL the butcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if he gives you a tip about the best cut of beef to you, let me know! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...