Hye Thyme Cafe: Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Bread

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Thursday, February 10, 2011

Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Bread

Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe

Bananas, bananas, bananas. I'm starting to think we need a monkey! How did we end up with SIX over-ripe bananas in the fruit bowl?! Three of them went into a batch of Peanut Butter and Banana Bars the other day, but what to do with the other three? I was debating playing around with Banana Rice Pudding, but since there are only two of us home this week and one and a half of us are trying to limit carbs, when I came across a beautiful shot of a Banana Oatmeal Bread on a Weight Watchers site, I figured oats was a better option than rice. Having tried both, the bars AND the bread are going bye-bye tomorrow so we won't be tempted to eat them ourselves. Helps to have willing guinea pigs in the area. :)

I couldn't help but play around with the recipe a bit. I added vanilla, cinnamon, and coconut, and replaced the one egg and two whites with two eggs. No particular reason for the egg switch. I just didn't feel like wasting two yolks, and there was no mention of the texture on the other site, so I had no preconceived expectation anyhow. Also, because we're out of light brown sugar, I used a half portion of white and a half portion of dark brown. There is a definite chew to this bread - meaning you can feel the oats. The closest bread I could equate it to would be a Date Nut. I had a slice last night when it was cool and was planning to try grilling a slice today with a little butter, but I forgot about that and ate a slice after dinner. For some reason, I was thinking there should be cherries in it too. Hmmm, might have to try that next time.


INGREDIENTS :
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c light brown sugar 
     (I used 1/4 white, 1/4 dark)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 T canola oil
2 lg eggs
3 bananas
1 c old-fashioned oats
1/2 c shredded sweetened coconut

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients with a fork. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk your eggs, then add the vanilla and canola oil. Mash your bananas on a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap so you don't need to wash another dish, then stir the egg mixture and bananas into the dry mixture. Once that's pretty well blended, stir in the oats and coconut, making sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl so you don't end up with a layer of flour at the bottom.



Pour into a loaf pan, greased or sprayed, and bake at 350 for 40-55" until toothpick tests done. Let cool on rack for 5-10" before inverting out of the pan to cool completely.










Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Bread : Hye Thyme Cafe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...