Hye Thyme Cafe: Turkey Meatloaf

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Saturday, January 22, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf


I was at the grocery store the other day and, for some reason, got it in my head that I wanted to try some form of Turkey Meatloaf, so I came home with two pounds of ground turkey and no idea what to do with it. I resisted the temptation to include any form of tomato - most of my meatloaf recipes contain either tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, or some combination of the three. Thinking about how much we like my sister's version of Giada D's Chicken Burgers with Garlic-Rosemary Mayonnaise, I decided to include mayo rather than whole eggs. I also figured I'd include some artichoke for moisture since I usually hear about turkey recipes coming out dry. Aside from that, it was pretty much whatever I happened to pull out of the fridge. It worked out very well.  Color aside, we all agreed you wouldn't even realize it was turkey!

INGREDIENTS :
2 lb ground turkey
1 med onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T dry oregano
3 T fresh chopped parsley
4 artichokes (canned) minced
1/2 c herb stuffing (crumb, not cube)
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/3 c grated Parmesan
1 T spicy or Dijon mustard  (I'll increase next time)
Salt and pepper

Although lots of pepper is always good in my book, don't get too heavy handed with the salt since the Parm is salty as well. Just mix everything together, form into a loaf, and bake at 350 for about an hour. Most recipes call for an hour, but when I tested mine, it still needed a few minutes, so be sure to check the temperature, as ovens vary. May also have been because I baked it in a casserole dish rather than on a metal pan. 











Look how juicy it turned out ...  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...