Hye Thyme Cafe: Toasted Chickpeas

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Monday, January 31, 2011

Toasted Chickpeas


In case you didn't figure this out from the Butternut Squash Chips, Beet Chips, etc., I've been looking for some healthier snacking options lately. More specifically, crunchy stuff! I don't know why, but this family seems to get a case of the nighttime crunchies. As much as I love popcorn, snow peas, baby carrots, certain dry cereals, etc., it all gets old after a while. I figured it was time to try adding Toasted Chickpeas to the rotation.  

By the way, I've given up the great veggie chip adventure for now. I was playing around with beets again yesterday ... and carrots ... and plantains ... but I couldn't quite get them where I wanted them. Or I did, but five minutes later, they were soft again?!? I'll come back to them down the road. The thing is, I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that our new oven has a built-in dehydrator feature, but since everyone (hopefully anyhow) has an oven, but not everyone has a dehydrator, I figured I'd try them the old-fashioned way first. Now that I've confirmed the dehydrator function, I can't wait til summer so I can try some pineapple chunks, papaya, etc. Yummmm!


INGREDIENTS :
2 cans chick peas (a/k/a Garbanzo Beans)
1 T olive oil
1 T of your favorite seasoning (I used buffalo rub)
Salt



Rinse, drain, and pat dry the chickpeas.




Toss with olive oil and seasoning.
Spread on baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt.




Roast at 300 to desired doneness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...