Hye Thyme Cafe: Kale Chips

Welcome to the Hy
e Thyme Cafe. Although not all of my recipes are Armenian, the name is a little nod to my Armenian grandmother who is no longer with us. The Hye refers to all things related to her homeland, and she represents all things food-related to me, so the two just seemed to go together. I can't even claim that my Armenian recipes are truly Armenian, since Greece, Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Syria, and even Egypt share so many foods that they've all sort of morphed into one over thousands of years.

Whether you like to cook, bake, have never done either, or just like to play with your food...come on in and join me! :)


Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kale Chips


I was first introduced to Kale about two years ago in a Portuguese soup. I have since been using it a lot in a recipe loosely based on that, but it seems like everywhere I turn lately, I've been seeing posts about Kale Chips. I saw a huge bag of Kale in the fridge earlier, so I could no longer resist the urge to try it and stole some. If you have ever been to a Japanese restaurant that uses parsley in their Tempura, it was kinda like that. Very delicate, and when you pop it in your mouth, it just sort of explodes. This is definitely a keeper for us!!

Some of the recipes I saw used just olive oil and salt, while others included apple cider vinegar as well. I decided to use the white balsamic I picked up over the holidays and throw in some garlic powder for the heck of it. At the last minute, when it was already on the tray, I decided to pepper it as well.  


INGREDIENTS :
6 oz Kale
1 T olive oil
1 T white balsamic vinegar
1 t sea salt
1/2 t garlic powder
black pepper

Preheat oven to 250 and line baking sheet with parchment.


Wash, and tear your Kale, being sure to remove any big stems.  Either give it a whirl in your salad spinner or dry it off with paper towels or a clean dish towel. I lucked out - that bag we had in the fridge was already triple washed and chopped, so I didn't have to deal with any of that. Off to a good start.

Put the Kale in a bowl, drizzle/sprinkle your other ingredients over it, and really get in there with your hands to rub it in, making sure it's all well-coated.

Spread on prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 30" until crisp. Just be sure when you test a piece, you take one that has a piece of stem attached, because those take longer. I have to remember to rotate my tray next time - one corner seemed to get less heat for some reason.











These chips are very delicate, so carefully transfer them to a serving bowl and make sure nobody reaches in for a big handful or they'll end up with powdered Kale. The brand that we had was curly and small, but if you're using a flat large-leaf Kale, it may be "sturdier." I took pics of them in a lovely crystal bowl, but when I opened them on the computer, none of them had come out well - just the one close-up. Oh well, you get the gist...I hope, cuz they're really good!

3 comments:

  1. I've never had kale before and this recipe certainly has me intrigued! How fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale Chips YUMMMMM!!!
    I'm hoping my Sis will make more soon!!!
    Great snack for low carb fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved them so much, we had to make them again a week later! Sadly, I had to clean and tear the Kale myself this time, sheesh! {eye roll} Tried sprinkling some with parm this time. Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...